Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

if you havn't already sanded the last coat down. it might be worth trying a spary over with thinner... it might flow out the orange peel.

go light at first.. then a little heavier if you are game.

it realy is worth getting some practice on something... um.... unimportant.

remember if it isn't working or is looking bad... wipe it of and start agian.

good over bad rarely gets a result.

cheers
    Any thing with sharp teeth eats meat.
    Most powertools have sharp teeth.
    People are made of meat.
    Abrasives can be just as dangerous as a blade.....and 10 times more painfull.

Quote Originally Posted by jiefu View Post
    Why so much thinner? Really interesting you should say that as I am trying to get a good flat finish with a hvlp setup and Mirotone gloss and always seem to be getting that wavy orange peel finish or lots of small high points that I have to level, despite varying settings and nozzles. I tried thinning at about 20% thinner, but not much different so is the answer to spray it REALLY thin? Thanks

Hi Jiefu
    Soundman is pretty close on the money!! Too spray correctly it all comes down too the right viscosity... sec in No 4 cup ,the right atomiztion ,speed ,and holding the gun at the right angle and height. But that all comes with practice..
    cheer's, kevin

Wow, I never have used Nitro, it's either shellac finish or polyurethane. The reason, I am finishing furniture mostly. My faviourite is shellac finish though. Along with shellac, I add sandarc, and gum benzoin. This gives the lacquer a little bit of water resistence. The gum benzoin needs to be boiled with the spirit in a double boiler though. I am trying to move away from solvent based Polyurethanes to water based polyurethanes. I have just received a sample from a company an it was a pleasure to work with. The finish is not high gloss, but a beautiful satin. I would like to try Nitro though. I never used it on furniture because of it's fragility. But I heard a few finishers spraying on nitro, and then finishing with poly. I dont know if the proceedure is right, or how good and how long the finsih lasts. I am uncomfortable dealing with two different systems for the finish.