Hello all,

I've been browsing around and reading lots but have some questions before I task somebody to build my deck for me, looking forward to your input!

1) The dimensions are not quite square, so I don't have the square meterage, but there's 1022 linear metres of merbau in the job. The deck is going to be low level (eg: just off the ground). Is ~ $12,500ex a fair figure for supply of materials & install?

I've struggled to get more quotes people either don't answer the phone, don't return calls, don't show up!

2) I went to another deck install by the above contractor to check the work, they used 55mm dome head nails to fix the merbau to the joists. As the merbau was supplied in random lengths, where the was a join there was 4 screws compared to non-join locations where there were two - I thought this looked a bit odd, however couldn't think of what a suitable alternative would be. Is this me being obsessive compulsive?

Do most people usually use an exposed dome head nail or something that sits flush / recessed which would be less noticable?

3) The other thing I noticed was that the deck boards which joined, had cracks or small splits in them, almost like they were nailed too close to the edge. However given the width of the joist, it doesn't really look like you could have moved much further down the deck slat, is this normal? Did the installer not pre-drill enough (or at all?)?

Being in-experienced I'm not sure of what I am seeing is 100% normal - so any input would be most appreciated.

4) Now I did search this one - really! I found as many posts supporting instant oilling as there is that suggest you wait. Thoughts?

I thank you all in advance!

Read the full thread at RenovateForum.com...