Hi there,

I've just bought a house which needs some work doing to it before we can move in. It has Cypress Pine floor boards in the original front part (3br, lounge, kitchen, hallway) and chipboard in the extension back half (lounge/dining + 2 br).
Unfortunately, it looks like the kitchen has tiles which were glued straight onto the floorboards ! I think I understand the complications over the removal of the tiles (clumps of glue stuck to the floor, possible floorboard damage during the removal, not to mention sanding difficulties). I'm wondering if any-one has any advice or ideas to share with me regarding this type of floor problem. I haven't tried to pull any tiles up yet and thinking about it, I reckon I should give it a go (today!) I may have to buy the right tools for the job first.
The other decision I'll have to make is what floor treatment to use throughout the house: Tung Oil, polyurethane, or one of the new mixes of these two???...or others? My head is starting to go fuzzy just thinking about all the options this decision has to choose from.
I've noticed that friends and people I've spoken to so far seem to have personal preferences on floor treatments and these preferences are influenced by many factors including things such as cost (cheapest options), practicality (ease of use) and political - going green/ half green/fully green floor treatment options such as some of the new "mixes". By "green" I mean environmentally friendly. For some, the choice of what floor treatment to use seems to be a highly emotional issue when they factor in their political leanings...
I'm exhausted just thinking about the floor conversations I've had in the past few weeks. I just want what's best for this site and my family needs. I have 5 children (10 - 21 yrs old) and am not partnered. I really don't want to be bringing the sander in every couple or so years, I'm not fussed on shiny glossy floors, matt is fine BUT I want to be able to give it all a mop over semi-regularly. ANY ideas would be most welcome... cheers and thanks heaps, Maryann

Read the full thread at RenovateForum.com...