Default Char burning of wood turnings

Looking for information on the best ways to char burn bowls and vases. What heats are best for what woods etc. How are the char smoothed before varishing.

bobcol.

You can use an LPG or butane blow torch bobcol. Just make sure you've cleaned away all local shavings and dust! And have an extinguisher ready.

I've done it to ebonise a beaded rim on a hollow form in Silver Birch and to blacken the entire outside of an English Ash bowl. The first was quick and easy; in the second the timber was inclined to light and it certainly cracked it but that just added to the rustic look.

On the Ash I then wire-brushed it and slopped on some shellac. Came up almost completely black with some nice grain textures.

As for other woods, you'll just have to experiment.

There is of course the alternative of steel wool in vinegar to produce an ebonising solution.
    Cheers, Ern

Thanks Ern, Have been experimenting on different wood. English Ash can give great results and agree the cracking adds to the character. Had a lot of Poplar given me and found with different heat bring out the grain. Have tried steel wool and lemon and will now try the vinegar Once I get that Ebony look on a bowl I will be happy. Haven't tried it on gums yet, I reckon Grey Box and Yellow Box might char well.

Bob.