Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Post Need some help with a back yard project

Ok so I am trying to get a gym going at my place and the basement area is too short to fit some of the machines so I am looking at creating a 5mx9m area in the back yard.

Now I have asked around and have had some mixed answers as to my options here, so far it seems like crusher dust with a tarp over the top and some plastic under the dust slab itself is the way to go. I was also thinking of having a few timber (maybe another wood) slabs on top of it just to give the area a little more support. the top layer would have that rubbery material you always see in gyms.

Now for my 5m by 9m area I was told I needed around 1 meter of crusher dust. My question to anyone here who knows much about this kind of thing is:

Is crusher dust strong enough, once compacted, to handle gym equipment that can be in excess of 400kg.
    By handle I mean will it be as firm as concrete and perfectly level with NO indents caused by gym equipment on it.

and

Is compacted crusher dust my best option for this kind of thing?

keep in mind I don't own the house and don't have the money for a professional mob to come round and set up a shed or anything like that. I have around $500 to spend on this type of thing (im only a uni student with a ?????? part time job).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I used crusher dust as a base under outdoor paving, used a wacker packer for three days solid on it, it still needed indents filled which IMO you will not be able to get firm enough.

i also used it on the floor in a small tool shed with a thick tarp over it until i could afford concrete,that was pretty stable but with gym equipment you are always going to have some movement which i think will indent and then split the tarp.

Join a gym for a year probably cheaper than all the preparation and cost of equipment.

Cheers Fred
    Cheers Fred

The difference between light and hard is that you can sleep with the light on.
    http://www.redbubble.com/people/fredsmi ... t_creative"

Updated 26 April 2010
    http://sites.google.com/site/pomfred/