Thanks to the mining boom imploding, I've found myself with some spare time.

I'm in the progress of constructing my first deck. At speed I'm going I recon I'll give it a bash a beating the slowest construction record, but I'm having fun! (I did get my first compound mitre saw for xmas Makita LS1040 )

This is my first deck (and my first major construction apart from my fence) so be kind if I have done anything stupid!

I've attached a few drawings on the proposed deck - I'll be adding photos at each stage.

The deck is about 4.8x4.3m and as our block slopes down the yard the deck will change from about 150mm high to 400mm along its length. It is under a lot of trees and has a few going thru the deck.

I want this thing to last forever so have probably gone overboard on my material and fasteners

Material
Red Ironbark 86x19 decking
100x50 H5 treated hardwood joists
100x75 and 150x75 H5 treated hardwood bearers

Fasteners
10g x 50 SS screws
14g SS batten screws
3.75x75 SS skew nails
SS joist hangers where required.
Pryda pin style post supports direct to bearers.

As soon as I got the joist and bearer material, I gave it an undercoat and top coat with oil based paint. This has stopped it drying out / cracking. I've been using some of that waterproof protector strip on top of the joists and bearers. I've also put weedstop and gravel down under the frame.

Photos and progress reports to come.........

Attached Files Deck.pdf (71.9 KB)

Read the full thread at RenovateForum.com...