Greetings all!

As many of you have probably already done, we are embarking on the development of an outdoor decking area in the back yard.

We have already had a rough quote from several builders however now we need to make some decisions with regards to timber type and the specifics of the design of the deck.

We have Jarrah floorboards throughout most of the house and would like to continue this through the kitchen onto the deck - however I have been told that Jarrah is quite pricey and is therefore likely to be out of reach for us.

Nevertheless, I would really really appreciate any advice/comments on the types of hardwood decking timber available, the best dimensions of each wood panel to use and approximate pricing (if anyone has any idea at all).

Apart from Jarrah, we have been considering Merbau, which I have read these forums is also a reddish colour and might match in with the Jarrah floors?

I have also ready about tannin bleeding from Merbau and having to 'water' it constantly for weeks on end? Can someone explain to me the purpose of this and if it is really necessary?

Any other ideas or recommendations for timber would be greatly appreciated - we are having treated pine supports (we have a high termite risk in our area)

Sooooo - yeah, basically any ideas or websites or books that anyone may know of which could help us in the final design of the deck would be great - including things such as hand railing sizes and materials and all that sort of thing. There is just so much to choose from and so many variations to be had!

Hoping you can help us with ideas,

Zoe.

Read the full thread at RenovateForum.com...