Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Request for help with Chisel ID

Hi folks

I've had this one for a while, I think I found it at a swap meet.. It is earmarked for my own use, Nice and heavy "Marked Cast Steel Sheffield" should clean up ok if I ever get around to it.

Has anyone seen the partial horse logo on their wanderings? looks a little like it may have a rider up there, rearing up on its hinds like that.

It's bugged for a while.. Finally remembered to bring it inside for a photo.

Any thoughts
    Best regards, Luban

Yep. What you have there is a chisel by Ferrari.

Very fast cutting they are too.

Cheers
    Michael

Slow6,
    Charles Nurse? then later Invicta, by Salmen.

Regards,
    Peter

Hi Peter

Maybe a different incarnation of the same logo? I can find a few images of the Invicta horse they are all very similar to the woody you have there.

I'm inclined to think that there maybe something more to whatever is around the neck of the poor beast on the chisel.

Have you ever found a reference for Sheffield tool or cutlery marks, I can find a million Sheffield "look up your bloodline" type resources.
    Best regards, Luban

For trademark reference try, cutlery includes edge tools , files, saws

http://www.sha.org/documents/Parks_Canada/Trademarks on Base-Metal Tableware.pdf

Note that Charles Nurse are not there, which is surprising. The horse on the chisel is not the same as the Nurse illustration above, or in Goodman - so is either an early undocumented mark, or a different company. Also the Nurse horse mark has the Invicta banner below it, and that is missing here.

Cheers
    Peter Evans

Quote Originally Posted by Heavansabove View Post
    For trademark reference try, cutlery includes edge tools , files, saws

http://www.sha.org/documents/Parks_Canada/Trademarks on Base-Metal Tableware.pdf

Note that Charles Nurse are not there, which is surprising. The horse on the chisel is not the same as the Nurse illustration above, or in Goodman - so is either an early undocumented mark, or a different company. Also the Nurse horse mark has the Invicta banner below it, and that is missing here.

Cheers
    Peter Evans
    Hi there Peter. Sorry for my late reply, Thanks for he link to the pdf for some reason my pdf reader doesn't like it but I'm sure its not a problem with the file.. the reader I'm using is a dog. I have saved the file in my folder of sheffield stuff and look forward to having a gander at it.
    I agree that the nurse horse doesn't look like a match. It'll keep, eventually I'll see it somewhere.
    Best regards, Luban