Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by vsquizz
    Does anybody know if you can power up a relay from the PIR built into the Arlec Floodlights/movement sensor lights. So you could activate something in the house to let you know the light is on????Ahhh Dean, lets say I have a fair handle on the insurance aspect, thanks.

Cheers
    If all you want is an indicator that the outside light is on, run a parallel cable from the light socket that is activated by the PIR...and plug in another light bulb. Less messier than fiddling with relays etc.
    The Thief of BadGags

Thanks Gaza, Not quite sure what you mean. The floodlight is plugged into a power point down the side of my house whilst I'm doing reno work. I understand about running a parrallel cable but how/where to I pick up the activation??

Cheers
    Squizzy

"It is better to be ignorant and ask a stupid question than to be plain Stupid and not ask at all" {screamed by maths teacher in Year 8}

Let me pre-tense this with the following :
    240V very dangerous.

Now that we are passed that, all I am saying is that the PIR activates the light bulb or flood light. If an electrician was to connect a cable in parallel to the bulb's socket, ( and connect a standard 240V Lightbulb ), you would then have a secondary indicator for when the PIR is activated.

If this light bulb is too bright, get the electrician to place a standard socket at the end of this parallel cable, and plug in a Child's Night Light which would be much dimmer.
    The Thief of BadGags

did some research on this myself recently. Haven't made the plunge yet though.

if you've got a dog you can get systems which are set to above the height of the dog ( no good for cats or for burglars who crawl along the ground ).

the wireless systems can have anti-tamper mechanisms so that if someone tries to smash a PIR / remove the batteries when the control unit doesn't believe that the batteries are meant to be being replaced then the alarm will go off.

On subject of insurance just had a call from my new insurer after I wrote to them confirming some verbal information given to me by their salesperson.

Turns out that the policy I have been sold

a) doesn't meet my needs ( although I was assured that it did )
    b) doesn't insure me for as much as I was told that I was insured for specified items.

So if you discuss anything "special" with your insurer make sure that you write to them to confirm your understanding if it doesn't appear on the policy doucments that you receive. Don't just assume that because you told them something that they have it on record.

I don't know yet whether the salesperson was being keen to make a sale and deliberately misrepresented the policy or whether his training wasn't up to standard.
    no-one said on their death bed I wish I spent more time in the office!

Fortunately we live in a low-crime area (midges keep the bad guys away too it would seem).... but I did have occasion to waste an intruder Friday night.

Sensor lights activated... I got up to see why...nothing...back to bed, same thing twice more..... I staked out the place, then when he came back I donged the bastard on the back of the head with a bit of 8 x 3 hardwood.

Bloody Cane Toads!

As for bad guys..no I am not about to divulge what we have installed at home, but have enough experience to know that bad guys, particularly those with a habit, are NOT deterred by anything that won't eat them.

I have the movie of three of them removing the 120 kg safe from my shop (not near where I live) at 5.30am one sunny summer's morning if you wish. (30 minutes before staff arrive). Clear shots, 10 minutes of movie, three years ago, no arrest.

Broad daylight, busy street even at 5.30 am. Oxy, sledge hammer, 8" grinder, alarms blazing, hammer through 12mm laminated "bullet proof" glass in the front door. 8 robberies in 9 years and they haven't woken up that the glass windows beside the door are plain old 6mm safety glass! To our knowledge three of the perpetrators have been caught.

Have you ever walked past a shop in daylight hours with the blue light flashing?? It's people like you that my robbers love!!

Dogs of any description are statistically the best deterrant, even small yappy ones, but big bitey ones are more satisfying in this instance!

There is a gas which can be rigged to fire when the alarm is triggered, which basically is a smoke screen to prevent the buggers finding your goodies, or their way out, and I have thought about it! Dunno about for home though!

Cheers,

P :eek:

Cool Alarms

I read all the answers to Squizzy's question and I noticed only one thing missing. If you do not have neighbours that are home, or care about others it is pointless having an alarm. How many times have you heard an alarm and just carried on about your own business?
    There are alarms that can be only used inside that make a sound so piercing it makes it impossible to stay in the house.
    another thing is the time an alarm can sound: Some states have a time limit on alarm activity and the owner can be fined for over use.
    Movement activated alarms can be set off by a bird looking at themself in their reflection of your window.
    The stickers do have some value, and so would a sign that says : "This property is protected by a loaded shotgun three days a week, you guess which days!"
    You have been given great advice, Squizzy, but always, locks only keep honest people out.
    It is interesting, the law thing and Beware signs. If you have a savage dog and put a Beware of the Dog sign on your gate you are admitting liability for any action that your dog takes and could find yourself in more trouble than if you don't have the sign.
    PS: as the action of your sensor light requires the switching of a circuit of electricity it should be possible to connect a light or buzzer in line - that is a good thought.
    Luck!
    Peter R.

Thanks for all the comments. For the neighbours, well they are talking about selling up and moving out, the problem is where to?. I watched Mrs Neighbour come home yesterday. Mr Neighbour had one car down the dealers getting the locks changes etc. She could hardly face to go in the house with their 2 year old. Its very sad. Bugger the material items.

Headline here awhile back "17 year bashes 81 year old grandma in home invaision"

I'm stuffed if I know what to do. Put in some more security and hope for the best.

I believe that when you knowingly break the law then you begin to forfeit the rights and protection of the law. The victims should be protected but it seems a lot of people are hell bent in putting the scumbags back where they can cause us more sorrow and heartache.

I just know (because of the bloodline) that if Mr Neighbour catches one of these scumbags there will be big trouble. But who is the real victim. So Scumbags, I'll go off and spend some of my hard earned money to try and keep my family safe:mad:

I'm still interested in the hook up to video if anybody has any experience with the hardware.

Cheers and thanks again
    Squizzy

"It is better to be ignorant and ask a stupid question than to be plain Stupid and not ask at all" {screamed by maths teacher in Year 8}

Squizz,

Did they have keys stolen? Is that why they are changing all the locks? If not, they are wasting their money.

In relation to alarms, get the loudest, most piercing alarm that you can. One that comes on after about 20 secs after you walk through the door. Just enough time for you to disable it when you get home, not enough for crooks to have more than a quick look around. The plan is that the crook will cra p when the alarm goes off and do the bolt.

Monitered silent alarms are basically useless. By the time the security company calls 000 and the job then gets given to the police and then the police have to get there from wherever they are, the crooks are well gone with your TV and VCR. Or worse still with your other half's jewellery box or THE WORST of the lot, your tools :eek:

Video is not a bad idea, BUT, is only any good if the person video'd is known to someone who sees the vid. Keep this in mind and don't get disappointed if your video does not hand the crook to the coppers on a platter.

Regarding Roof Tiles being moved to get in, I have never been (in eight years) to a burglary where they moved tiles. If you like to feel safer in this regard, nail every course of tiles down. It won't stop someone who is truly determined but they will make a huge racket getting the tiles off.

Someone earlier said something about detering honest thieves. I have to dispute this saying. There is no such thing as an honest thief. They are opportunist thieves. :mad: Their behavior in itself is dishonest.

To make the neighbours feel better tell them to leave a $10 note in a prominent spot just inside the place they enter the house. If they open the house and the note is gone, they close the door, go to a neighbour and call the police. Crooks will always grab cash before anything else.

Dan
    Is there anything easier done than said?
    - Stacky. The bottom pub, Cobram.

Quote Originally Posted by DanP
    Video is not a bad idea, BUT, is only any good if the person video'd is known to someone who sees the vid. Keep this in mind and don't get disappointed if your video does not hand the crook to the coppers on a platter.
    Don't the bad guys know that too! They aren't deterred!

A friend of mine had an armed hold-up in his shop, only had $30 - something in his till at the time and a time lock on the safe. Bad guy spotted the camera, and asked where the VCR was, then proceeded to the cupboard at the back of the shop and knocked off the VCR!

Now his cameras are hidden too! (and connected to a PC hard drive out of harms way, and accessible via the internet.)

Cheers,

P

Dan yes they got the spare house keys and car keys/immobilizer. Two streets down coppers found blood at another break in, same morning. From our neighbours Scumbag took some kids DVD's but left a $300 bottle of Scotch, go figure. They also took 2 solar garden lights???, the jewelery, video, wallet etc.

Dan, local Neighbourhood vigil...sorry, watch.. told me of a couple of recent break-ins in the next suburb where through the roof tiles to gain entry and then out the front door.

I'm less happy because I have to take down the whole fence on one side of my place shortly to put up a retaining wall.

I may put in a monitor for internal purposes rather than recording.

Mrs Neighbour has been calling the security system snake oil sales types and they are flocking to her door, mouths foaming at the potential sale. From what I could see the $1,000 wireless system (installed) was exactly the same system available DIY for $400 at Tricky Dickies. Its wireless for Pete's sake, takes longer to read the manual than it does to install. The PIR's were absolutley identical.

They all seem to have window sensors, well sorry but this is WA. We can't actually remember fully closing our windows?, thats what we have security screens for, so we can have some air.

I'm starting to rant..

Cheers
    Squizzy

Default drug problem

I've got a daft idea,

Put a good strong dose of drugs available if your lucky they might overdose themselves
    woody U.K.

"Common looking people are the best in the world: that is the reason the Lord makes so many of them." ~ Abraham Lincoln

Talking Honest 'people'

Hi, DanP, If your referred to my comment where you said 'someone said honest theives' (sic) and took exception to that comment, I might suggest that you read again as I said locks only keep honest people out.
    I do hope that your powers of obversation weren't used to solve the robberies that you attended.

Peter R.

Quote Originally Posted by vsquizz
    \ From what I could see the $1,000 wireless system (installed) was exactly the same system available DIY for $400 at Tricky Dickies. Its wireless for Pete's sake, takes longer to read the manual than it does to install. The PIR's were absolutley identical.
    Choice did a think on burglar alarms and if memory serves me right they reckoned you were just as well off installing it yourself.
    no-one said on their death bed I wish I spent more time in the office!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter R
    If your referred to my comment where you said 'someone said honest theives' (sic) and took exception to that comment, I might suggest that you read again as I said locks only keep honest people out.
    I do hope that your powers of obversation weren't used to solve the robberies that you attended.

Peter R.

Peter,

Your post reminded me of a saying that is commonly used. I worded my post poorly. If you are offended by my post, and it seems that you are, then I apologise.

I do not take kindly to your commenting on my ability in my chosen occupation. You do not know me and have no right to pass such comment. :mad:

Dan
    Is there anything easier done than said?
    - Stacky. The bottom pub, Cobram.

Smile Sleepless in Coffs

Quote Originally Posted by DanP
    Peter,

Your post reminded me of a saying that is commonly used. I worded my post poorly. If you are offended by my post, and it seems that you are, then I apologise.

I do not take kindly to your commenting on my ability in my chosen occupation. You do not know me and have no right to pass such comment. :mad:

Dan
    Yeh! Sorry Dan, didn't mean to get catty. I was not offended by your comment, just bemused at the fact that the comment had no basis, if in fact, the comment came from my statement. Let's shake and make up, OK?

Peter R.