Guys, thanks for all the good advice on this forum (both directly to me and through all the other projects on the go). I've just finished my deck/steps, and thought I should put up some photos.

My goal was to have a solid landing outside our rear sliding doors, with "stadium" seating around this, which would also act as steps down to the ground. I also put in some smaller steps for those who didn't want to step down 40cm at a time! I have not built anything like this before, and so really relied on this forum and Staine's book to get something that would look and feel OK. My Dad helped as well, but he's never built a deck either!

Top part of the deck is 3m wide by 1.2m deep, and lower part is 4.2m wide by 1.8m deep, leaving a 600mm wide "seat" running around it. Top deck is 380mm above the bottom part.

Here is what I started with (pegs marking the hole locations):

I then used Raff's technique of putting the bearers in stirrups, then concreting them into the holes, after leveling them while they dangled in the empty hole. We dug the holes WAY too big, and used massive amounts of concrete - this ain't going anywhere! Bearers are H4 TP, 90x90mm.

Here they are concreted into place. Bottom of bearers is around 140mm from the ground, so plenty of clearance there to prevent moisture buildup/termites.

I then put in the joists for the lower part of the deck. Most of these joists will just serve as support for the upper part of the deck, but will also have some decking boards on them as well. Joists are 140x45 TP, 1800mm long, with 200-250mm cantilever over the ends of the bearers.

Finally, the rest of the substructure, which supports the upper deck. Both the bearers and joists were 190x45mm TP, so that the overall step height is 380mm. I also extended the bearers through at the house end to provide support for the smaller step that I needed to put in.

Rest to follow in next post...

Read the full thread at RenovateForum.com...