Currently researching the idea of removing the carpet at my house and having either a Silkwood type product (prefinished hardwood layer floating floor) or a solid timber floor laid over the existing timber floors. I have looked at the state of the existing timber floors and they must be original dating back 90 years and are in a very poor state with gaps between boards, large sections cut out and replaced with chipboard. There are also small areas which need levelling.
When I enquired about laying timber floors over the existing ones, the rep said that they would need to level all areas and lay a plywood layer first BUT only if the new boards are to run parallel with the existing boards. Is this usual practice?
Also, I have read varying views as to whether a Silkwood type product can endure the same number of sandings as a solid timber floor. The hardwood top layer of Silkwood is 4mm.
How often does the floor need resanding?
Silkwood also has a 25 year surface and structural warranty but most of the things I have read about floating floors seem to suggest replacement after a few years.
I know 'you get what you pay for' but the solid timber is not that much more expensive than the Silkwood product so the latter cannot be all that bad?
Thanks.

Read the full thread at RenovateForum.com...