Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Sherwood FM110

Default Sherwood FM110

Hi all, and Merry Xmas

My lovely wife bought me a Sherwood FM110 dust collection unit for Xmas. Unfortunately I have no idea how to connect it to my tools.

It has a gigantic flexi-hose as an input, which must be 4" across. All my machinery have little 1" or 2" pipes coming out of them, which I have always assumed the dust collectoin gear fits to.

Is there some sort of device I can get that steps the 4" down to a reasonable size?

These units are designed to move large volumes of material which requires that they have large openings, if you reduce the opening down to 1" or 2" you will restrict the airflow through the machine which will cause it to work harder and overheat.

For the smaller size fittings, you need to use something along the lines of these which is designed to move smaller materials with a higher suction
    Cheers

DJ

ADMIN

Buggar. I wonder if they will swap it?

If it hasn't been used yet, as in had dust or shavings put through it, I'm sure that they'd exchange it for you.

You'll never know unless you ask
    Cheers

DJ

ADMIN

Quote Originally Posted by DJ's Timber View Post
    These units are designed to move large volumes of material which requires that they have large openings, if you reduce the opening down to 1" or 2" you will restrict the airflow through the machine which will cause it to work harder and overheat.
    Out of curiosity - could you put a splitter on it and put a half-open blast gate on the other channel to let the sucker get more air while still getting suction through the pipe you want? Seems a bit redundant to have to have separate vacs for large and small machines.

Quote Originally Posted by Juffy View Post
    Out of curiosity - could you put a splitter on it and put a half-open blast gate on the other channel to let the sucker get more air while still getting suction through the pipe you want? Seems a bit redundant to have to have separate vacs for large and small machines.
    You could but the suction still won't be the same as a purpose built Vac, I tried and it is very weak
    Cheers

DJ

ADMIN

Quote Originally Posted by Juffy View Post
    That's basically what I do. My most commonly used power tool that I has a 1" outlet is my belt sander which connects via plumbing fittings to a 2m length of 2" flexi pipe, which in turn connects to a 3m length of 4" flexipipe, which connects to a 4 M length of PVC tube before it enters my DC. I keep a second blast gate on the same PVC line partially open to help maintain DC air flow.

I detest vacuum cleaners because I know they make more fine dust than they collect and they sound like a household appliance so I hate having them on in my shed.

Smile

Carbatec sell reducers that will solve your problem
    http://www.carbatec.com.au/machinery...tepped-reducer
    Cheers,
    Paul

Smile

Cheers,
    Paul

Bob, I am not being cheeky here, mate, believe me, but I would think the odds are against you writing that first para. again without a mistake!!!

Just in case, I have printed it as it is a beauty. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by snapman007 View Post
    Cheers,
    Paul
    Sweet!