Default Portable Generators

Hello All,
    Just wondering wether anyone here owns or has experience with portable generators.
    I have a catologue from Honda in my grubby little hands and cant make up my mind between the 2 kva model or the 2.6 kva model.
    Mostly i will use it for work but the fact that it will come in very handy when we go fishing,camping ect is an added bonus, i am hoping that some people on the site might be able to point me in the right direction with regard to noise,capabilities,prices ect.
    Cheers
    Steve
    if you always do as you have always done, you will always get what you have always got

Steve,
    I have the Honda EU20i which I use for camping. All the brochures say it's a 2000 Watt generator but in actual fact it is 1600W with max output of 2000W.
    It does all I need it to do with plenty left over. I use it to run a fridge, freezer and bore pump and small fluoro lights when we camp. (We go to Fraser Island every year for 3 weeks for the fishing comp). We also use it to run our caravan when bush camping.
    Again the old saying of horses for courses and depends on what you want to use it for and what you will want ot run off it. A EU10i (1000W) will run most things for camping and we used to have one till I upgraded to the fridge etc and needed that bit more power.
    When we set up camp we put it right at the back of our tent and it is reasonably quiet and hardly notice it when it is running. Doesn't annoy us or our neighbours.

It is not too heavy and very economical to run.

Hope this has been of some help.
    Regards,

BigPop
    (I never get lost, because everyone tells me where to go!!!)

Thanks Big Pete,

You have sold me
    the Eu2i sounds like just the go.
    cheers
    Steve
    if you always do as you have always done, you will always get what you have always got

No probs mate,
    You won't regret the choice that's for sure
    Regards,

BigPop
    (I never get lost, because everyone tells me where to go!!!)

Steve,
    you say you will use it for work, what type of work? You will need to work out what items you need to run simultaneosly and add up their current draw, plus an allowance for start up draw. My old 5KVA genset would just start my 8cfm compressor, but the new 4.5KVA just won't do it. The little GMC compressor I use on site nowadays will run on it just fine though. Check out the current draw for your appliances (should be written on them somewhere) and talk to the retailer (or better yet someone who actually knows about generators ) before spending your readies.

Mick
    "If you need a machine today and don't buy it,

tomorrow you will have paid for it and not have it."

- Henry Ford 1938