Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Question Filling Natural Cracks-Jarrah

Hey all,

I'm in the process of making a chopping board and a cheese board for my Girlfriends' Dad for christmas. I have chosen a slab of Jarrah which measures 28cm wide, 910 cm Long and 4cm deep. I have cut the board down so , the cheese board is 20cm and the the chopping board 89cm, though I am thinking of cutting this down as it is impractical, though looks really nice. They have both been routed with a round over bit and sanded with 80 grit at the moment, though I will probably go to 1200.

My question is there are some really nice, what I call feature cracks in the board, right in the center of the chopping board and one in the corner of the Cheese board, I would like to fill these obviously because food is being prepared on them, but have no idea what to use. I want something clear so they are still visible though.

Can any one shed any light on what to use? Epoxy?

What would be a suitable finish? Food safe wax?

Harlan

Harlan use epoxy. Are the cracks right though or just on one side? If right through you need to tape the back to hold the epoxy in. If you can find your way back up to Kalamunda with it I have some west systems and some other two pack that you are welcome to use. Bring the board and I will help you out with it. If you can get up here twice you are welcome to pass them through the drum sander to get them flat if you need, given you have already sanded you probably won't need to though.

If you want to buy some for yourself, see Dave, he sells it. A small kit is about $35 so not really worth it just for one board.

If you can't get up here let me know and I will swing past one day after school and help you out.

When you get to finishing it, use organoil hard burnishing oil for a real smick finish. I can sort something out for you if your just doing the two boards.

Email or call me to arrange something if you still have my details, otherwise PM.

Cheers,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Wooden Mechanic View Post
    Hey all,

I'm in the process of making a chopping board and a cheese board for my Girlfriends' Dad for christmas. I have chosen a slab of Jarrah which measures 28cm wide, 910 cm Long and 4cm deep. I have cut the board down so , the cheese board is 20cm and the the chopping board 89cm, though I am thinking of cutting this down as it is impractical, though looks really nice. They have both been routed with a round over bit and sanded with 80 grit at the moment, though I will probably go to 1200.

My question is there are some really nice, what I call feature cracks in the board, right in the center of the chopping board and one in the corner of the Cheese board, I would like to fill these obviously because food is being prepared on them, but have no idea what to use. I want something clear so they are still visible though.

Can any one shed any light on what to use? Epoxy?

What would be a suitable finish? Food safe wax?

Harlan
    Hi Harlan. A few comments:
    First, as a woodworker, talk in millimetres please. Centimetres are confusing. That said, the chopping board is, as you have written "impractical". We have one that's about 600 x 300 x 50, and my wife says that she is afraid of it, since she's almost dropped it due to its weight.

1200 grit? That's complete overkill in my view. I do believe that a baby's bum is about 400 grit smooth.

Consider that it's going to get cut up and then think practically. You don't wax cutting boards. You'll get lots of suggestions here on the forums, so I won't even bother making suggestions now. Suffice it to say that wax is not the answer and that oils are.

When you oil it, unless you've raised the grain whilst turning it into the baby's bum, it will become furry (like a baby's bum.....if your living in a family of gorillas). That has to be sanded off again. People use all sorts of things to raise the grain, and water is as good as any on a food surface. Others will offer other opinions.

Cracks harbour bacteria, so you will want to fill them. (Also stuff like cheese gets into them on a cheese board.) Epoxy is indeed the go, be it clear or coloured. One idea that I offer is this: Save a pile of your finest sawdust when sanding your boards and keep it clean and unadulterated as possible. If you mix the jarrah dust into the epoxy, it will colour it naturally.

If you want it clear, then use an epoxy that will actually cure clear! Stuff like Araldite or its equivalents dry milky white. Test your epoxy before using!

Good luck with it all. Just remember this quote when making things out of wood: "Settle for excellence. Perfection is a waste of time."

Michael
    "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is." Yogi Berra

"Experience is the name every one gives to their mistakes." Oscar Wilde

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're right." Henry Ford

My website: www.xylophile.com.au

Some great advice and suggestions there. I'll follow up with suggesting the 2 best finishes for chopping boards, in my humble opinion that not everyone agrees with - paraffin oil and natural - no finish at all. However, considering the cracks, I'd go with paraffin oil.

You may also wish to consider including some handles so the board can be lifted easily - always a bonus for the chef

cheers
    Wendy

Quote Originally Posted by RufflyRustic View Post
    ..2 best finishes for chopping boards...paraffin oil and natural...
    I agree with Wendy and this had been discussed numerous times on this forum.

Your case is slightly different due to the cracks. The cracks will cause health problems if untreated, but there are also poblems with filling the cracks with anything that may fracture under the impact of the knives that will be used on it, then ending up in your food. If the cracks are small, the oil may swell the grain sufficient enough to seal it. If any crack is large, I would not use it
    Neil