Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Metal Detectors

Default Metal Detectors

Are metal detectors designed for finding gold and coins suitable for finding metal in logs?

I just noticed in K-Mart on Saturday that Jackeroo camping products have a treasure hunter type detector for $39. Figure it is a get what you pay for type thing and this would be nowhere as effective as a minelab for finding gold but would it be better than a carbatec type hand wand for finding steel in logs?

Mike, I reckon it would do a better job than the hand helds, but like you say, get what you pay for. Most of them except the most expensive types, you need to go over the log a few times to check all the way as they only tend to penetrate 4"-6", then you get some which pick up steel in the ground underneath your log!!!

I've found hand rolling to be good for finding evidence of nails as you are up close and personal with the log, you tend to see 'signs' of possible issues. Although this isn't a guarantee, a telltale sign while you are cutting is a localised 'darkening/blackening' of the timber; I was lucky with pic 1 the cross cut showed a nasty looking area, pic 2 a close up of what I'm talking about. Pic 3 is the face of the log after getting a few layers into it, you can see a 'dark patch' just totally random in the log, pic 4 a close up of what I found in that 'dark patch'

I don't have one, not to say it isn't needed, sometimes I've been unlucky to have put a new blade on an hit something unfunky without getting much life from it, but I've cut a heck of a pile of logs and some really trashy logs too without heaps of problem. I guess you'll have to see how things go??
    I love my Lucas!! ...just ask me!
    Allan.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigidi View Post
    I've found hand rolling to be good for finding evidence of nails as you are up close and personal with the log, you tend to see 'signs' of possible issues. Although this isn't a guarantee, a telltale sign while you are cutting is a localised 'darkening/blackening' of the timber; I was lucky with pic 1 the cross cut showed a nasty looking area, pic 2 a close up of what I'm talking about. Pic 3 is the face of the log after getting a few layers into it, you can see a 'dark patch' just totally random in the log, pic 4 a close up of what I found in that 'dark patch'
    I agree, get up close and look at what you are cutting and don't take anyone's word that there is nothing there. Dark patches are a good lead

The one time I took notice of someone who said "even though the tree held a tree house there were no nails left because I pulled them all out" next cut I hit a coach bolt. Lucky it was mild steel and the chain went through it like butter.

I do have a metal detector (a hand held from Carbatec) but have never found anything. I also only ever hit anything about once every 10 - 12 logs. It's quite a bit of work to scan every cut or even every second cut. I also always forget to use it just before I hit something. maybe something that sits on an arm just far enough away from the mill to detect metal but not the mill could be handy?

Cheers