Hi guys.

I've decided my house renos will include having polished floorboards in the lounge, kitchen & hall. I'm doing almost all the renos myself as I'm on a low income budget with only the work I'm not allowed to do done by tradies.
I pulled up the carpet (if you could call it that) in the lounge yesterday to see what the boards look like. They are 86 year old pine, 22mm thick & in solid condition. The only downside is that the majority of them are 1mm to 2mm higher in the middle of the boards than at the edges. Running your hand across them is a bit like running your hand across a line of beach balls. That's exaggerated, but you get the idea.

Would it be feasable to run an electric plane along them to knock this high centre down, & use an edge sander at the ends, before I get into sanding the whole room? I've already punched the nails in at least 3mm, & did a bit with my orbital sander, but this was hard work. After reading a couple of posts, I'm going to invest in a belt sander to do the job. It will come in handy for other jobs as well.

Is using the electric plane to level the boards a good idea or do you think I should just do the whole lot from the start with the belt sander? This is not a "had to be done yesterday" kind of reno, so I'm not really worried how long it takes.

Thanks,
Andrew

Read the full thread at RenovateForum.com...