Hi all,

Sometime soon I'm going to get around to installing the vanity I picked up from Bunnings not too long ago (It's the $169 jobbie, sink & cabinet, simple but pleasant), and had a few questions to ask before I look at buying the tools I need (I don't need much of a reason to buy tools, but the missus does ;P)

1. Drain. In the first photo, it looks like I should be able to unscrew the s-pipe. However, if this proves unsuccesful, would it be reasonably easy enough to cut off the drainpipe just behind the thread, and attach PVC couplings?

2. Pipes. I'm also going to have to do some work on the water pipes. I plan on cutting them off, and soldering on whatever I require. What would be ideal for me would be to put a tap on them, to make it easier to deal with future dripping taps. Are those surfacemount taps in the realm of a keen DIYer, or would I be best using the ones which are inline with the pipe away from the wall?

3. Vanity. As per Picture 2, the vanity is going to be replacing the sink. Would I be best off removing all of the tiles, or just the ones on the wall? Somewhere down the line, we're either going to paint the tiles (The missus' preference) or just retile the bathroom. And if the floor isn't flat, what would be my best course of action? (Trimming the base of the vanity or levelling the floor)

4. Tools. I have a butane torch which is quoted to do 1100 degrees celcius, but having read around here a bit I suspect that just won't cut it. What torch should I look at for soldering work? The bonus of getting this torch now is that I plan on rebuilding my shed in the future, and would like to run some plumbing to it (Just cold water) so it should be able to see future use.
Anything else I might need apart from the obvious?

5. With that all thought and typed, would there be any legal problems I could face with this plan? I live in Perth, and whilst would be very keen to do this myself, will happily get in a proper plumber if there's any great risk of Death by DIY :wink:

Thanks in advance!

Attached Thumbnails

More...