I had some exterior grade floodlights installed high up on the house walls recently. A few days ago I turned them on in some windy wet weather and within a minute or so the circuit breaker clicked off and would not reset while the lights were turned on.

Today I turned the mains off and got up on a ladder to investigate. It turns out the base assembly of the light fitting was full of water. A few experiments with a garden hose proved that water was getting into the base assembly by running down the wall and seeping along the back of the fitting and into the base assembly - despite there being a soft rubber sealing ring around the wire access port.

Is there a special sealant designed to seal the back of fittings against a wall ?? I can only presume that the base of the fitting is likely to get warm from the 500w halogen lamp.

thanx Doog

ps yes I rang the sparkie who installed the lights and he said he could come and look at the fittings in a MONTH - MAYBE 6 WEEKS! - sod !! No one likes a call back I suppose.

More...