Ive jsut insalled underground stormwater pipes from my back of house to the street. my house is 1.5m below street level and therefore have to run a wet system.
in the diagram below you can see that i have a tank that is 40cm below te ground level and the tank is about the same level but the top of the tank is below street level also.
the pipes have to run underground as they will get in the way otherwise.
i have a spout coming up from the ground that fills up the tank. the water goes through one of them lazy lizzard filter things to stop crap going into my tank. theres also a leaf beater on the gutter outlet from the roof.
this setup works fine in normal light rain, but the other day when we had an absolute short down pour for 2 days in a row, the system filled up my lazy lizzard with crap, dirt and small particles and blocked it and the rest went to the road.
i cleaned all the crap out of the filter, cleaned the water pipes by undoing the lowest point where i have an end cap for cleaning, it removed alot of crap, and i put it all back together.
next day we had another strong short down pour and the same thing happened, it filled by lazy lizzard up with crap.
seems the large rush of water pushes all the crap in the first instance to the spout into my tank.
how can i fix this??

Attached Thumbnails

More...