G'day,
My ongoing decking project is finally nearing its end - depending on the certifier...

I was looking at putting stainless steel wire and posts up for the balustrades and need some advice on the finish of the stainless. I have contacted Miami Stainless and Australian Wire Ropes, both in Qld but the difference in price is about 1/3. Miami stainless is the cheapest but their posts are a satin finish where as the other mob have a mirror finish. When I spoke to Australian Wire Rope, they said the mirror finish weathers significantly better than a satin finish. Both use 316 stainless. They also said that cheaper places source their steel from inferior suppliers and that has an impact on weathering. Some of it could just be sales speak but who knows? Its always hard when you have limited experience and the only people you can talk to are sales people. Thats why I love reading this forum!

I guess I am asking if anyone has experience with the performance of different finishes of stainless steel in a weather exposed area? Also, anyone know of particular problems with Chinese or Korean supplied stainless?

Thanks in advance,
Boris.

More...