well, SWMBO has deemed that the current deck at the rear of the house needs to be a) replaced & b) somewhat larger, and seeing as how she has been such a good sport over the years with all the concrete work that we have done here, I guess I ought to at least consider it

So I thought to myself, 'errrr, yeah, ok, ummm, best I had better ask a few people who know a bit more about this magic stuff than I do, so here I am

Current deck is approx 1.8w x 7L, proposed deck is to 4m wide x 13m long (width of the house, this is what is there now (last 2 posts that can be seen are 5"x5" concrete posts, they will be staying !)
Attachment 74412

As you can see, there is a nice sleeper retaining wall there (must ask the missus why that isin't concrete...) that we really want to keep as it is, and where it is. The only problem is the distance from the house to the wall is 3.3m.

From the incredibly detailed, and to scale, drawing provied below, I would like to have 1m overhang to give us the wanted 4m width for the deck.

I have a number of 6m long, 190x45 lengths of timber that is, as can be seen, marked as F7, so, first question, would this timber be sufficient to be used as bearers and handle 1m overhang ? (also a number of 4m long 185x45 hardwood, no marking on these, I know that are hard wood, hammering a 4" nail into one of 'em was a bloody near impossible task!)

2nd question is how to attach to the house, I had thought of using 50mm x 50mm x 3mm angle iron, bolted to the house floor joists and bolt the 190x45 to them, yes, no, don't be bloody stupid ? the house is on concrete stumps FWIW

Thoughts, suggestions, almost any are welcome

Attached Thumbnails

More...