Dear forum,

We have recently bought an old Victorian in Bayside Melbourne. It has a tacked on bathroom from the 70's, which I am going to try and do a tidy up renovate on.
We eventually want to extend the house and reposition the bathroom to an inside room, and continue the house as open plan kitchen, lounge, dining to the back yard.
So, I don't want to spend a bucket on this renovation, when a larger project will happen in the next 2-4 years (when the bank balance/cash flow has improved a little).
The floor is old concrete, with old chipped green paint. The toilet sits on a concrete area almost 1 m2 in size, and it's a little rough.
The whole floor area for tiling is 5.71m2. I am planning on
painting
buying 7 m2 of tiles for the floor.
removing the old vanity and toilet.
removing the architraves around the floor.
washing the concrete with acid, (which acid, how to mix?)
sealing with bondcrete 1:1 with water,
smoothing/levelling the concrete with Ardex LQ 92,
sealing again with bondcrete,
then tiling with 30cm tiles
grouting.
Getting the new vanity and toilet installed by a plumber.
I'll post a couple of before pictures to clarify things.
I'd would really like some advice whether I'm on the right track, because I've never done anything like this before.
Should I also rip the tiles off from around the bath and do them at the same time? - I don't want to tackle a full bath/shower redo yet, I'd like to
compartmentalise the work. The walls are painted thin wood panelling, but the tiles around the shower are sitting on asbestos covered with plastic wallpaper in a floral pattern, and I'm worried that if I pull
those tiles off, it will snowball into a much bigger/expensive/dangerous job.
I've read through threads on the forum, and got heaps of information already, but I've got a couple of weeks off now, and think I'll give it a crack.
Any advice is appreciated,
Thanks,
Lisa

Attached Thumbnails

More...