Hello Folks,

I had a carport which had two brick sides and was open on the other two sides. As an owner builder I enclosed the other two sides to create a new room (also with brick walls, on new footings and new slab). The two previously existing walls were already painted a few years back using Taubman's SunProof Max exterior paint, the two new walls are still exposed bare brick and cement.

The roof has sloping timbers which I intend to keep as is (i.e. no flat ceiling).

It is now time to provide the finish. Traditionally cement render/plaster is what was often used for the finish before painting but that is too messy (for reasons given shortly).

Because of the brick walls, and for other reasons (ease of installation, thinner material etc), I was wondering whether I could just use fibre cement panels instead of gyprock and plaster the gaps where the panels meet with something like Selley's Spakfilla (either Rapid or Heavy Duty - I've used both many times around the house)? The cement board is smooth enough and takes paint well just don't know how effective it would be using Spakfilla or similar to conceal the gaps. I'm also not sure how best to attach the fibre cement panels to the brick walls, particularly the painted brick walls. The fibre cement panels will attach to the roof timbers though easily enough using Liquid Nails and fibre cement nails.

I have never used gyprock before and because of winter I had to install the glass windows and sliding doors to seal the room, so my thinking went to fibre cement because it is a lot less messy (won't mess up the door frames etc).

I'd appreciate hearing your thoughts, thanks.

Regards,

Tony

More...