I would like to get the opinion from some painters on an issue of repainting costs after shoddy plasterwork.

One of our plastering contractors recently had some personal issues and had some young guys do a job for him without our knowledge. The job (3 Units), was a complete disaster. With our system the builder directly pays the plastering contactor. I visited the site and saw what was happening and called the builder to hold payments to the contractor as the job was not acceptable and that the contractor had to make good the job to my satisfaction before he would recieve payment. I told the contractor to call me when he completed the rectifications for an inspection.

When I got the call I went to site and the job was still a disaster yet the painters had finished painting one unit. The plasterer got offended by me pointing out what he had to repair and spat the dummy, (saved me sacking him). I called the builder and told him that I would bring the job up to scratch. He asked me not to do anything in the unit that was painted.

The owners moved into the painted unit and as expected complained about the painting and plastering work. I was more that happy to get in there and fix the plastering. The painter had overrun the cut in on the square set all over the job and the plaster had stuffed up the square set. Now the big question should the plasterer be expected to pay for the repainting?

My view at first was to cover the cost of re-painting until I saw the condition of the job the plastering was very obviously unacceptable. I asked the painter how he could possibly paint that job in the condition it was in. His reply was that it would teach the plasterer a lesson if he had to pay for the re painting. He also said he told them they had to fix it and they had their chance. So it was quite clear he knew the job would be rejected and would need to be re painted.

Fortunately this is a rare thing for us. But I have a feeling this could get messy regarding the re painting cost. I have no problem fixing the plastering but I feel the painter should have rejected the finish and said he would not paint until the plastering was repaired. It would be kinda like a plasterer sheeting over a pipe sticking out the wall knowing full well the sheet will have to come off, then insist on the plumber paying him to put it back again.

Some plastering problems only become apparent after painting and in changing light conditions, this was obvious and clear from the start.

I have had situations in the past where we have covered re painting costs and others where we have not. It normally depends on the situation, this is the first time I have seen a job this bad painted with no attemped at repair.

I am aware that most contracts stipulate that the painter is deemed to accept the fiinsh once he starts painting and is therefore liable for the finished product or at least his own costs.

I would appreciate your thoughts on this before I discuss it up with the builder

Just to add, in this situation we would charge the builder for the repair work which would be deducted off what was due to the plasterer, with the plasterer still being paid the balance. If the cost of repair was greater than what was owed to the plasterer we would bear the repair cost ourselves.

Cheers Rod

More...