Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Hi from the pointy bit !

Hi my name is Russell, I noticed a few links to this forum from CNCZone so I thought I would sign up and see what the fuss is about

I live in a small town south of Cairns (Babinda) and have built a CNC router table, and started about three more CNC based machines which will hopefully see the light of day eventually...

I hope to get a little more serious as far as actually using my router, and woodwork in general. I thought with Christmas coming up it would be a good time.

Cheers.

Russell.

G'day Russell, I live the other side of the mountain from you.
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

Hi Russel!

Just 'cause Cliff lives on the other side of the mountain from you, don't let that scare you off the forum!
    Cheers,
    Ed

Do something that is stupid and fun today, then run like hell !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Rogers View Post
    G'day Russell, I live the other side of the mountain from you.
    Hey Cliff, nice to hear from you, I was hoping to hear from a few locals (close enough ) While this year is almost over I hope to get stuck into some woodwork, I have lots to learn but am stubborn enough to try

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Reiss View Post
    Hi Russel!

Just 'cause Cliff lives on the other side of the mountain from you, don't let that scare you off the forum!
    Lol, hi Ed, nah I don't scare that easily

Cheers.

Russell.

G'day Russel, I live a bit up the road and across the mountain from you. welcome!

Mick
    "If you need a machine today and don't buy it,

tomorrow you will have paid for it and not have it."

- Henry Ford 1938

How's it going Mick...I guess since I have done the intro's I better show what I have been up to...this vid was made for my router build log on CNCZone but you get the idea

Hmmm, seems like youtube is out of commision at the moment, I will link it tommorrow if it is back up and running...

Cheers.

Russell.

Ok Youtube is back on the air, here is the video of my router...it is mostly finished, waiting on a new servo for the X axis to speed things up a little, the current one is a bit small and gets quite hot when pushed. Also need to build a shed to house the beast, working in the carport is no fun at all.

[ame="http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=bbC1aVWtOGg"]YouTube - My Steel Frame Router[/ame]

Cheers.

Russell.

That was great

To have built the machine and program to do that must be a great sense of achievement
    Don't force it, use a bigger hammer.

Timber is what you use. Wood is what you burn.

......man, you've got some skills!!!
    Cheers,
    Ed

Do something that is stupid and fun today, then run like hell !!!

Cheers guys, I have to get stuck in and actually start using it a bit more, I have to build the shed first then its play time

Very impressive!
    Just wondering if you had an end use in mind when you started building it, like having a wooden sign writing business, or was it just about building it? Do you have to program it all in code or is there a user friendly interface? I wouldn't mind having a CNC router, but I think that if I ever get one it will be a "turn key" package, I've got more than enough half started projects to last me a few decades.

Mick
    "If you need a machine today and don't buy it,

tomorrow you will have paid for it and not have it."

- Henry Ford 1938

Hi Mick, yes I did have a reason for building it, that was to make timber fishing lures.

2 years later I still have not made a single lure but I have learned a lot and am planning to make a machine or two that will make this one look like a toy.

In the meantime I want to play around making small signs for fun and maybe for markets, the machine cutting size is about 600 by 600. I would like to make a larger machine that is about 4 metres by 1.5 metres job size for things like custom doors, sign's etc.

I wouldn't say the interface is all friendly but it is becoming very standardised, there are a couple of great software packages available that make things a lot easier. I struggled a little after the machine was built as I put so much energy into getting it going then I had to start over and learn how to use it. But the results are so much better than I expected, and I get a silly smile every time it runs a job

Know what you mean about unfinished projects, now the router is finished I am down to only about 500 left to go, I better go and start a few more...lol

Cheers.

Russell.