Default Is there a living in repair and refinish?

I know of someone locally that does repair and refinish and he makes decent from the prices I have seen per piece. I do know that his business could be run more full force to make it grow. He is more of a smaller, slow progress type of business.
    Can a business be run successfully doing only repair and refinish and then branching into smaller cabinent and bathroom scenery design?

G'day Steven - There is no reason at all why someone with knowledge and expertise can't make quite a decent living doing repair and restoration. But I wouldn't throw in a good job to take it up without building some sort of clientele and reputation as a part time thing first.

Some rules I've based my business(es) on.

• Don't aim to be as good as anyone else aim to be better.
    • Work to and maintain only the highest standard
    • No job is too small - However some are too big. Do only what you know you can handle.
    • The customer isn't always right - Neither are you.
    • Most Importantly: Be prepared to diversify

Not your normal business rules but they work for me.

Oh yeah.... One final piece of advice.

Don't take advice from people like me. Ultimately it's all up to you, so if it feels right for you, bite the bullet and just do it.

Cheers - Neil

PS My son lives in Houston and is firmly of the belief that America is a throwaway society not into a fix and restore. He's been furnishing his house with thrown out furniture that he's repaired and restored for himself. He reckons there's a big $ to be made fixing and reselling other peoples discards. He's literally saved tens of thousands of dollars and could easily sell (what has cost him virtually nothing) for a massive return.
    KEEP A LID ON THE GARBAGE... Report spam, scams, and inappropriate posts, PMs and Blogs.
    Use the Report icon at the bottom of all Posts, PM's and Blog entries.

Absolutely. You probably won't be a millionaire in a year doing it but like every other niche business if you have the expertise and you're willing to put in the hard work, then you can make a good living doing restoration. Most of your customers will be from referrals though so it's important to be good to your clients and get them to recommend you and remember you as much as possible.