Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Warwick, Qld - amateur woody

Hi ppls,
    Another ameteur woody from the Warwick, Qld area.
    I read you blokes like to see pics, I have none to offer at this time.
    Hopefully that will change in near future. I have given away several pieces of my work to family... without taking pics of them.
    Thus far i have not really stretched myself in the projects i have made. I plan to make our wooden outdoor furniture, from pieces either bought or possibly from old fence posts i am going to remove to replace with new fencing for our property.
    But before any new projects can be started, i need to design the layout for my workshop in the old shed that was here when we bought.
    Is there a preferred place to post the design ideas and Qs for a workshop?

Cheers, 'xman
    Uncannyxman

Hi xman, welcome to the forum.
    You read it right, pictures are the currants in the porridge.
    Have fun.
    Ad

Hi xman....and welcome!

Here's a web site to check out for designing a shop layout:

http://www.woodnet.net/tips/general-...g-shop-layout/
    Cheers,
    Ed

Do something that is stupid and fun today, then run like hell !!!

A big welcome to you xman. Have fun.
    Reality is no background music.
    Cheers John

Thanks Ed,
    The page was helpful, but i need to really map out the room, with the door, roller-door, power points, window.
    The Shed is a 3 bay (3m per bay), 6m wide, 2.4m at the eves. Long axis of the shed is Nth Sth.
    The Nth most bay will house the Ride on mower, push mower, and power tiller. With some shelving and cupboards around the Nth and E walls.
    Middle bay will house my motorcycle, its spares and extra parts on shelves and in more cupboards along the E wall (back of the bay).
    Sth bay will be the workshop proper. It needs to be used for both woodwork and metalwork. Some of the equipment can encroach on the motorcycle bay. I have a cover for the bike, so dust will not be a huge problem for the bike.

Electric tools needed to be bolted down: bench drill press, 8” bench grinder.
    Electric tools to be housed: Triton work centre, extension table, plane, 2 drills, 4” grinder, 9.25” circ saw, plunge router, belt sander, 1/3 sheet orbital sander, jigsaws.

Hand tools to be housed: 4 hand planes (2x4.5, a 5, and a 6), chisels and mallet, various files, and mechanical tools.

Storage for: wood stock, off cuts, metal stock, wire stock, hand tools, loose power tools, woodwork accessories (hinges, screws, nails, catches, handles).

Work bench to be rebuilt/re-assembled. Width needs to be trimmed down from 1200mm to 950mm I think. The two woodwork vices re-fitted. Metalwork vice refitted.
    Doors made and fitted to the bench.

The existing bench that runs the entire width of the Sth end of the shed, is not flat, let alone level. It has no shelves, and takes up too much room… so it has to go before any new work can be done.

Oh, and I have a kitchen to complete before any of the above. Lol
    Nail head puttying, using trim fix Robertson screws to re-secure the cornice to the ceiling batten… something about builders who use nail guns to fix cornice to steel ceiling battens just irritates me.

Cheers, ‘xman
    Uncannyxman

Well, it's a good thing your a young bloke then....wouldn't even dream of attempting all that at my tender age!!! lol
    Cheers,
    Ed

Ed, now be careful with the age thing... at 38 I already feel the sore knees from too muck kneeling down at the cross of the infernal fence/grape vine trelis/motorcycle/ride on mower while making repairs to said item.

On the plus side it's now lunch time here, so i can add some more details... not all of the storage stuff has to be built from scratch. I already have:
    2 display cabinets salvaged from an old work place that was going to throw them out. Only one has glass sliders that fit, the other is about 10mm too high for the glass sliders i got from another throw out.
    1 chest of 8 drawers that i had the drill press bolted on top of in my previous workshop b4 we moved.
    Shelves are easy - 250mm wide MDF lengths easily cater for that, and a good spread of steel brackets from Bunnings can sort that out easily. The shed here is a welded steel channel frame jobbie, so it is not far at all between metal wall studs to screw/bolt the brackets onto.
    My previous workbench has mounts for the 2 wood vices, and metal vice ready to bolt back on. 2 shelves were under the workbench. All it needed was 4 doors to be made up and fitted.

I am thinking the wood from the cruddy bench in the shed could be re-used in the shelves or cupboards that need to be built.
    It can be daunting looking at the very long list of jobs that need to done about this place, but we are so much happier here than in Brisbane, that it soon fades and you just do your best to tackle one job at a time. Or as i have had to do due to external influences, work on several jobs to inch them closer to completion.
    Cheers,
    Uncannyxman

Three cheers for recycling what others don't want!

One could easily furnish two or three homes with the stuff that is set out at the curb on trash days here in Jersey.
    Cheers,
    Ed

Time for an update on the various projects:
    Locating the steel ceiling battens has been a "hit n miss" affair... ffs, seems that about 410-420 mm are the centres along the ends.

NONE of the builder's nails hit the mark along the upper part of the cornice...
    The only thing holding it up for the past numerous months have been the nails along the lower part of the cornice that hit the studs... oh and a small amount of the white acrylic caulk that was used on both upper and lower edges of the cornice.

Early this week, i bought a Maxi-Trac hi-lift 4x4 jack. $150. Thus far it has done the job of star steel post removal x8, old wood post removal x1, cyclone mesh that was flatened and had kycooya(?) grass growing through it, chicken mesh same overgrown conditions, and two rungs of old-howold? barbed wire.
    With a half metre of 8mm chain and 2 rated (500 Kg) D-shackles, it has completed all tasks asked of it.

3/4 of the fruit trees have got the birdnetting frames up over them. I have run out of 2" rural poly pipe (100m roll), I think a 2nd roll of the same is needed, and the left over (50 - 60m) will be almost enough to connect up the large water tanks we have, and run a line up to the gravity tank.

I enjoyed the thread on the rural fencing Qs... lol
    Plenty of ideas have been gleaned from said thread, none of which will be discussed here ;-)

Just had 3 of our water tanks cleaned by PWS (Toowoomba based operator), he did good job. And was half the price of the only Warwick operator i could find. I cannot see why the local would have been so much dearer...

Enough for now... i have some fresh Cornbread to get into. My own adapted recipe. 8-)
    Uncannyxman