Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Habits for Your Stupid days

That is the title of quite an interesting blog entry .

Not sure I agree with the set-up tips on table saws, but I do know that there are times when all I should do is gently sharpen blades (or sit down and read a book, listen to music, watch TV or contribute to the Forums)rather than try to use a sharp tool, let alone turn on any of the tools with tails.
    Cheers

Jeremy
    If it were done when 'tis done, then 'twere well it were done quickly

Yeah - but look at the blog author! I have a number of his woodworking DVDs, and the name jumped out at me.
    "Clear, Ease Springs"
    www.Stu's Shed.com

Who's Gary? I know a Fred.
    I make things, I just take a long time.

www.brandhouse.net.au

Author and co-author of a number of Taunton woodworking books, does some Taunton woodworking DVDs, and a series for Jet as well if memory serves me correctly.
    "Clear, Ease Springs"
    www.Stu's Shed.com

I like this one
    Pat
    Work is a necessary evil to be avoided. Mark Twain

rrich Guest

I have been in the shop at school and told the instructor, "I'm way too stupid to be here today. I'm going home." He was a bit stunned but said that if I thought so to go home.

At home if I find myself being stupid, I'll go inside and flavor some ice cubes.

In my terribly unforgiving line of work we devote thousands and thousands of man hours thinking about the many different ways that tired stupid guys will screw up, then develop standard procedures to prevent those mistakes.

When you are fresh and firing on all cylinders they can be vexing and pedantic, but they save your bacon when a more casual approach can lead to a smoking crater.

In the shop I have little tiger stickers on the man-eaters to remind me that one day they'll get me. I have battle dressings (maxi pads) in the first aid kit, and a reliable telephone in my pocket (set to silent ring). Safety glasses are cheap by the dozen...every machines has a pair, and a spare too. Same for hearing protection.

Floors get swept. I don't stand in the kick-back firing line of my saw when ripping, and I do have my rip fence set up as suggested in the blog. (Works very well, by the way). I try to drink lots of water too, as a dehydrated brain is a stupid brain.

When I am easily distracted or catch myself vegging out over a trivial problem I turn out the lights and go watch something completely stupid, like Fox News. Since I am perfectly capable of running a plane blade or chisel through my sternum I don't resort to sharpening duties.

I make lots of push sticks too, and use them. I kinda like letting the bandsaw remove the finger on a push stick as a reminder to myself of how little effort the saw uses to amputate it.

Since every day has at least a little stupid in it, I try to think things through and stay out of the tool path. Doesn't work every time, but so far I can cross all (somewhat scarred) fingers in hope that I can always cross all fingers.

Greg

After a long day cutting on the Triton (making a bag shelf for my wife's classroom), we were up to the final cut. Set-up the measurement, I bent down to double check the set-up, Dad bent down and switched the machine on ...

I still have all my fingers (no joint in my ring finger any more), but it was a mad rush to the hospital.

Points to remember:
    Never work tired (no matter how close to finishing you are).
    Always take jewellery off (watches, rings etc) (Luckily I took my wedding ring off).
    Never work tired
    Measure twice cut once is rubbish
    Never work tired.

I can understand where he's coming from, and agree in principle, but for the majority of people in a workplace there is no real choice! Despite feeling convinced yourself that you are too stupid on the day, and that you should be doing something else (or going home), you gotta stay at the coalface. Be interesting to find some stats on industrial accidents to know if the victim felt unready/unsure on the very day. Not exactly a premonition, but a mindset that all is not heading well .
    For the hobbyist... well and good, take a break.
    I read through a fair bit of that blog, and really warmed to the guy's outlook. A talented, hardworking and entertaining woodworker, and it would be a real pleasure going to a class there.
    Thanks for the link Jeremy.

Cheers
    Andy Mac
    Change is inevitable, growth is optional.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    Measure twice cut once is rubbish
    Sorry to hear about your finger, your father must feel awful. I have to disagree with you here as measure twice cut once is good practice, so is:
    • having one person in charge of a machine;
    • turning off power too machines when measuring, adjusting or changing blades.
    Either of these practices would have saved your finger. Not meaning to rub salt in your wound here but this is an important lesson for others. There is nothing more important when working with someone else than looking out for the other persons welfare. Only the person operating the machine should touch any of the controls and they should also be doing all the measuring and adjustments on the machine itself. The operator also needs to be acutely aware of not only where they are but where others and all of their body parts are. There are far to many avoidable injuries caused to second persons by saws, nail guns and the like because people often only consider themselves or use others to help them take a shortcut (like holding something that should be clamped).

Burnsy,

I was only joking about the measure twice being rubbish.
    Now whenever we are working together, it sounds like we are on ER, with the operator calling "Clear!" before we switch a machine on.
    Your right about only having one person in control of a machine, and the other there only for assistance, and that was how we had been working all day. Being tired after a hard days work is good, but if you are using tools (especially power tools, sharp hand tools), then it's a good idea to stop when you are tired.

Cheers

Jeremy
    If it were done when 'tis done, then 'twere well it were done quickly