Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: silver quandong

Default silver quandong

I want to find a supplier that could get a few short lengths (1 meter) into central Victoria at a reasonable cost. The end goal for me is to rip 1/2 inch square section and dowel it up into arrow shafts, so the closer it comes to that the better, i.e boards.

Apparently there was once a supplier but he has been out of it for while. Good matched shafts would get a ready market as well as from just me as it is a highly recommended wood for this job - and apart from wanting to try to make some myself I know a few archery suppliers would take them immediately if a regular dowel maker would be willing to try it.

Anyone know of a mill runs it through already, or can anyone aim me at a source of a few bits 'n pieces?

As a by the way, I think it ends up at about 500 to 700 grains weight a length of 28 inch 7/16 round shaft. I would be interested in thoughts on comparable woods. Very straight grained of course.

Default silver quandong

jape,

I don't know much about making arrows but in response to your bytheway have you thought about Paulownia. I believe it is fairly straight grained and it turns OK. It may be too light for the job. It has similar in quality to W R Cedar but lighter. I could send you a sample if you PM me.

John

I saw an add for s.q. from a supplier in the Brisbane area. I'll pass on details if you need it as a last resort.

Cheers
    Michael

Thanks Whitewood, PM follows
    Michael, I would be pleased to get a Brisbane supplier, I have archery friends there.

the add reads
    pack size 310x80mmx2630mm, less than 1/2 price $69 the lot, phone 38245442, Alexander Hills
    (that's a suburb name, not the guy)
    Cheers
    Michael

Thanks Michael.

Macropete Guest

Default re Silver Quandong

jape,
    you would be interested to know that for the past few years now silver quandong has been one of the trees recommended for Farm Forestry, so there would be quite a lot of it planted around Queensland and northern NSW.

You may find more than one present, or future supplier, by doing a websearch for Farm Forestry. Several plantations have gone in on the Sunshine Coast, and I drive past silver quandong trees as I drive through the Dulong area west of Nambour. Healthy young specimens they are too!

Peter

I found an old thread from here as well, I have asked around archers and it is indeed silver quandong that is known as silverwood. i should be able to find some now, thanks for your tips.

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com...ad.php?t=22921

I am sure any that if any small miller wants to get into making shafts at 5/16 for lighter weight and 7/16, they would find a market, I would be willing to get a few archers together to buy a pack and also approach suppliers. This wood is the shaft of choice for traditional archers in Australia, a growing area, who make wooden shafts, but any shaft maker needs to be aware that no grain run out can be allowed and that best value comes from matching sets by weight within a few grains and also matching spine. The heavier weight/durability of SQ over Port Orford Cedar is an attraction. ther was a supplier but he seems to have fallen away after machinery problems, not the market. These shafts were also gaining a good reputation in USA and Canada.
    Last edited by jape; 9th October 2008 at 07:55 AM. Reason: moe ideas

Quote Originally Posted by jape View Post
    I am sure any that if any small miller wants to get into making shafts at 5/16 for lighter weight and 7/16, they would find a market, I would be willing to get a few archers together to buy a pack and also approach suppliers. This wood is the shaft of choice for traditional archers in Australia, a growing area, who make wooden shafts, but any shaft maker needs to be aware that no grain run out can be allowed and that best value comes from matching sets by weight within a few grains and also matching spine. The heavier weight/durability of SQ over Port Orford Cedar is an attraction. ther was a supplier but he seems to have fallen away after machinery problems, not the market. These shafts were also gaining a good reputation in USA and Canada.
    I'd be willing to mill them for you if you can find a supplier of logs who is willing to ship them to me at East Warburton in Victoria.

If there is enough interest, I may even look into turning them into shafts as well.
    Cheers

DJ

ADMIN

Finished shafts would be wonderful, I shall post on the archery forums and see what ensues, thanks a lot, will get back to you.

Macropete Guest

jape,
    I Googled "farm forestry" +"silver quandong" and up came this supplier at Grafton
    http://www.cedarworks.com.au/index.htm

Perhaps supply could be the easy part after all, but next comes quality!

Macropete Guest

Default Home made arrow shafts

From what I have read, a traditional method to make arrow shafts is to split them from a billet of wood and dry them first. Then they are straightened using steam or heat of some sort, then they are rounded.

This rounding process can easily be done yourself using a doweling block and electric drill.

The block can be made to whatever size you need. See the attached images.
    1. Screw two blocks of hardwood together, sand them and round the corners.
    2. Screw the block to the face plate of your lathe and drill your hole of choice through the middle.
    3. Taper the hole as it passes through the front half of the block.
    4. Remove the block from the lathe, unscrew the two halves, and make the cutout for the cutting head, as depicted in the first image.
    5. Screw the two halves back together, then make up a suitable cutter of which a variety of shapes will do. The cutting edge needs to be parallel to the taper of the hole, and then parallel to the dowel surface at it's inner end.
    6. Clamp the completed block in your vice ready for use.
    7. Whittle the end of the arrow blank so it will fit into the end of your electric drill, then slowly push the blank through the doweling block while running the drill at maximum speed.
    Tip:
    The last few millimetres of the cutting edge needs to run parrell to the dowel surface to prevent a continuous spiral mark on the finished surface.

You should be able to make all the arrow shafts you need without too much trouble.