Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Silverglide.

Default Silverglide.

G'day all, Well after quite a wait I finally received a tin of silverglide , hopefully it will add some protection to my tablesaw/bandsaw/jointer tops. It certainly makes them slippery but I would like to hear if anybody has had any experience with this stuff. Up until now I have always used wax and lately U beaut traditional. The silverglide , apart from being bloody expensive, is it going to be any better and last longer? I look forward to any replies.Cheers Steven
    The hurrier I go, the behinder I get.

We got it at work. Its seems to work well at first. , but I had higher expectations of it affects lasting longer.

I usually don't bother with it now. we have got blocks of wax all over the shop. just grap one of them.

Steven, if you are using machines on a daily basis I would do what apricotripper does. If you are a weekend warrior like myself, I find it great to wipe down the machines then leave them for a week or so until I go back to them. If I am using them heavily all day I swipe them with a block of wax.

I guess my use is more for rust protection than lubrication.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevenp View Post
    . The silverglide , apart from being bloody expensive, is it going to be any better and last longer? I look forward to any replies.Cheers Steven
    Yes it's better and lasts longer if, as Groggy says you use your machines infrequently and you are using it as a rust preventative.

I live in an extreme situation, (salt laden air) and rust will form in days on an unprotected surface. Using waxes (including Traditional) only seems to protect for a few weeks on an unused machine. It doesn't make sense, but that's the case!

I usually give the cast iron a bit of a buff with a scourer dipped in silverglide, let it dry off for an hour or so, then rub it in/ polish it off with a cloth. That's good for six months or so of infrequent use.

And I cover all surfaces in between!

Cheers,

P

Quote Originally Posted by bitingmidge View Post
    And I cover all surfaces in between!
    Covers are good, I use sheets on most machines but recently found the carpet underlay (with the silver foil on the top) makes an excellent cover.

Thanks for the info everyone, I applied silverglide as soon as I got it and no sign of rust as yet, where there probably would have been with wax. Time will tell. Now I need to con the minister for war out of a couple of bed sheets.
    Cheers Steven
    The hurrier I go, the behinder I get.