Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Drop Bear Capital of Gippsland (Lang Lang) Vic Australia

I drive a cruiser mainly because most weekends I am towing two bloody great big thoroughbreds, total weight with float close on 3 tonnes, I drove down from Kinglake to Yarra Glen with no trailer brakes and it performed OK (who forgot to put the bloody plug in?).
    This run is extremely steep and has some tight turns and can be quite acharacter building experience.
    I drive this setup because I know what it can and cannot do.
    My question is, why do you need a 4WD? Can't a medium size 2WD perform the same task for what you want without the excessive fuel bill and additional maintainance costs?
    Stupidity kills. Absolute stupidity kills absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyHammer
    Gibbers?

Question from a pommy gentleman...

HH.
    A vital ingredient if ever you find yourself in need of cooking a galah (a pink and grey member of the parrrot species which can be quite prolific in areas where the mud fills the guards and stops the car).

The old recipe involves finding two round river gibbers and putting them in a pot of boiling water with the galah. Boil until the gibbers go soft, then discard the galah and eat the gibbers.

True,

P

Firstly Thanks for the replies everyone,

My choice now is as clear as the mud I will drive it in

Quote Originally Posted by Iain
    My question is, why do you need a 4WD? Can't a medium size 2WD perform the same task for what you want without the excessive fuel bill and additional maintainance costs?
    Basically we need something to cart a big dog and a couple of kids around in, SWMBO ( and me to be honest) dont really like the look of station wagons or even the Subies so that rules that out.

That in addition to the flexibility a 4WD provides is why a 2WD is not an option. I will be launching boats on boatramps that are mainly sand and maybe do some light off roading but the room in the back is the main issue for us.

After a lot of research I have decided to buy something about 2 years old, I dont want a new car (lose 10-12k straight away).

narrowed in down to either an Xtrail or a Pajero (or Prado if I can find one cheap enough). I need to decide whether the extra running costs etc is worth the extra power and room if I go for the larger options.

I think 90% of the time an Xtrail will be all we need but what about the other 10%? What if I want to tow a my old mans caravan or something? Is it worth the extra cost for those one off times?

Oh and another question... Manual or Auto? LOL, The more I research the more confused I get as to what I want.

is worth the extra power and room if I go for the larger options.
    my answer to this is Yes! for the very reasons you have stated. That is the towing of your boat, especially when trying to retieve it on a sandy beach.

As for Manual or Auto, this is a personal thing.
    Me I like the auto simply because it's easier, though I do have a secondary battery fitted in mine for Mr justin Case.
    There's no such thing as too many Routers

I have a 99 Forrester. Hooked the boat on in Cairns and turned up in Perth 4 1/2 days and 5600 ks later with 27 mpg average for the trip, loaded to the gunwhales . Its got 80'000 on the clock and is an oustanding vehicle. (Modern cars are just so nice...no lovable character like Cliff's Landy)

We looked at updating as the kids get bigger and the X-Trail is top of the list. However, whilst it looks a lot bigger than the suby, in practical terms the difference is not huge. Fuel economy has got to be a major factor with the current prices. My folks have just done the run down to Perth from up north $1.25/litre in many places for diesel and the old Patrol is not the most economical on the road.

Stay well away from Prado's with the Auto box. All smiles when working but if the auto box has done some towing well:eek: .

We will have a look at the Klueger. Had a sales guy here awhile back who was very happy with the Tribute. One of my brothers bought a late model secondhand turbo diesel Pajero, very happy and lots economical. Other brother has late model 2nd H Cruiser but Toyota spares are crap outside of Perth ("it has to come from Melbourne Sir...and that will cost 7 guzillion").

We keep looking but at the end of the day we look at the Forrester and its a case of "Why Bother"

Cheers

BTW Cliff: I have noticed that Kubota have installed the same air conditioning system as the Land Rover
    Squizzy

"It is better to be ignorant and ask a stupid question than to be plain Stupid and not ask at all" {screamed by maths teacher in Year 8}

Get a Pajero loads of room in the back as seats 6&7 are under the floor.

If you don't get the extra room it will gnaw at you that you compromised even if it's only a few times a year, also removes doubt on those boat ramps.

Mines an auto and I'm happy with it for average off road and on, also tows effortlessly.

HH.
    Always look on the bright side...

I've owned one or two vehicles over the years (last count 32) some new some second hand, you are quite right about immediate depreciation, useful if you can claim a tax deduction , harder to take if it's purely private.

Buying a vehicle is always a compromise, they simply don't make the perfect vehicle for every requirement (is why I currently have 3 I suppose + the wife's). Large and copy cat smaller 4wd's by their design have limited load space, this is to reduce the departure angle whilst seating 4+ in comfort, the likes of the Subaru Liberty are "soft roaders" and don't worry so much about departure angles and the like. Most people start out saying I will be using it off road, but after only a few experiences it never goes off road, on that basis you might as well hire or borrow one for those odd occasions

The most rugged vehicle I've owned was a 95 Landrover Defender 110 (bought in 98) it kept it's value with no depreciation over the 3 years. It also had the best load space and could tow 3500kg and it was a true 4wd, but the rear seats were very uncomfortable on long journeys for adults (my dad moaned for 650k's once) It did have a commanding driving position and owners wave at each other It had the aero dynamics of a brick though. I always swore I'd never get another Landrover but the Defender was a great experience and I'd buy another.

At the end of the day a car is not (for most of us) for life, it is a depreciating asset and often a necessary evil. I have to say in your position I'd buy a Subaru I think. If it doesn't suit and you won't know that until you've driven it for a while, sell it they have a good resale value compared to a commodore or the like.

In an off road situation manual is generally considered best because of the ability to engine brake, automatics are less prone to heavy footed wheel spins though.

Am sure all that didn't help at all

Cheers

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by HappyHammer
    If you don't get the extra room it will gnaw at you that you compromised even if it's only a few times a year, also removes doubt on those boat ramps.
    Yep, this is what I am worried about. I think I will just cop the extra running costs rather than spend the next few years bitching and complaining that I cant get the dog and the camping gear in the car!

BTW nice looking car, what year is it?

It's a 2002 GLS we bought 1 year old for $38K and I haven't had a single problem with it. The outlaws have a farm and I've bounced it about a bit up there and it's been fine, even with a trailer full of rock.

HH.
    Always look on the bright side...

I hired an X Trail in Qld and proceeded to do about 3000k's in about five days. I found them to be very underpowered and because of this I became frustrated with it. I wasn't towing anything or carrying anything of weight so no excuses there. Fuel economy was ok. I personally wouldn't have one.

If you are going off road I suggest a Landcrusher Turbo Diesel. Get the manual if you are really going off road (not just on the beach). Don't get the plain old Diesel model if you ever want to get anywhere, they are slugs.

The Toyota Kluger received very good write ups recently when compared to the Prado and the Ford Territory. The Territory was on the bottom and the Prado not far behind the Kluger. You won't get a 2nd hand Kluger yet though, only been out a few months.

Dan.
    Is there anything easier done than said?
    - Stacky. The bottom pub, Cobram.

Quote Originally Posted by DanP
    I hired an X Trail in Qld and proceeded to do about 3000k's in about five days. I found them to be very underpowered and because of this I became frustrated with it. I wasn't towing anything or carrying anything of weight so no excuses there. Fuel economy was ok. I personally wouldn't have one.
    Thanks for the insight, Looks like I will be going with the Pajero as I will be towing on occasion. My old man has had cruisers since I can remember (he updates every 3-4 years), love them but they are a bit too thirsty for what I need, and too pricey. Just gotta get the finance sorted now

Cheers
    joel

My work car is a Kluger CVX. Very hard to fault, in any way, though I have not been 'outback' as yet. Averages 11-12l/100km. Quiet. Refined. Supple suspension. Towed a 2t load with no complaints (though only rated for 1600k I think). Excellent traction in the snow (100km/h through the Lake Secondary road in fresh snow - awesome).

Toyota have a habit of changing their executive's cars after about 6 months. If you get on the web and watch the auctions (Pickles etc) you could score one - they've been out since Nov '03). Note that Toyota dealers actually buy these vehicles at the auctions themselves! Cheep.

PM me for more info if you wish
    The only way to get rid of a [Domino] temptation is to yield to it. Oscar Wilde

.....so go4it people!