Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Help!

Default Help!

Hi, we have just had bathroom renovated and installed internal laundry (washing machine & drier) inside a cabinet with poly doors. We have only used the drier twice and already the door has bowed outward (presumably b/c of the heat). We measured the door and it is 16mm thick, I understand the standard is 19mm. Would this affect the strength etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Liesaj View Post
    Hi, we have just had bathroom renovated and installed internal laundry (washing machine & drier) inside a cabinet with poly doors. We have only used the drier twice and already the door has bowed outward (presumably b/c of the heat). We measured the door and it is 16mm thick, I understand the standard is 19mm. Would this affect the strength etc.
    How big is the cabinet , does the drier vent to the outside of the house or just in the cabinet , and please tell me you haven't been running this drier with the door shut
    I wouldn't worry about a thicker door I'de be checking on my fire insurance , because what you are decribing in a potential disaster waiting to happen
    Ashore

The trouble with life is there's no background music.

Hi Ashore thanks for your reply.

It is a condenser drier and designed to be built in cabinets so we do have the cabinet door shut but have an exhaust inside the cabinet to assist the venting situation so not concerned about fire but more worried about my poly door!

Thumbs up

G'day Leisaj and welcome to the show.

You will gat plenty of advice here as has already been demonstrated.

16mm is the standard thickness on cabinetry - because cabinetry is built to European 'system 32' dimensions.

And if wood is in the right environment to bow, it will bow. Even 32mm thick mdf will cup if one side gets too hot and wet.

Don't listen to what "They" tell you...... around any electrical appliance there is always going to be heat and this alone will cause changes in the moisture on opposite sides of the door and it will buckle. At school, we had to take the door off the cupboard for this very reason. In theory, there may not be a water problem, but any little thing wrong or a splash/drips of water even from loading it and there is your problem.

Just my 2 cents worth!

Chipman

by the way, even thick solid core house doors buckle and bow due to temperatue/moisture differences from side to side.

Quote Originally Posted by Chipman View Post
    Don't listen to what "They" tell you...
    Who the hell are they ..
    . around any electrical appliance there is always going to be heat and this alone will cause changes in the moisture on opposite sides of the door and it will buckle. At school, we had to take the door off the cupboard for this very reason. In theory, there may not be a water problem, but any little thing wrong or a splash/drips of water even from loading it and there is your problem.
    Liesaj is talking about a poly door so how does water effect it

Just my 2 cents worth!
    Don't ask for change

Chipman

by the way, even thick solid core house doors buckle and bow due to temperatue/moisture differences from side to side.
    Liesaj are you talking about a mdf door coated with poly or a solid poly door , the first I would think , as you are using a condensate drier then inside a cabinet is fine , but if the door is bowing out I would be lead to think there is still too much heat within the cabinet , a thicker door may not solve the problem I would suggest more or better venterlation perhaps in the door itself or leaving the door open , or a sliding door which may be easier to leave open when running the drier
    Had a call by one lady whose washing machine condensation drier wouldn't work and found the filter blocked , there is usually one in the drain line , this needs to be checked and cleaned VERY often as they get a fair bit of lint IME
    Ashore

The trouble with life is there's no background music.

All the manuals I have read on these dryers suggest good ventilation.

A closed door is not good ventilation IMHO.