Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

There is one law on reversing, it is simple and applies to both drivers. Use common sense.

A simple law at sea is that both boats should do all in their power to avoid a collision.

Might sound like I'm like all old fogies "When I was young, son" but back then driving was an art and you used common sense. To illustrate what I mean. On a hill where it is difficult to pass, the car descending slows or stops because it can more easily restart and the ascending car cannot.
    Apply that to the issue of reversing. If the reversing car is at a disadvantage, make allowances, it's easier to wait a second or two than to spend time exchanging information and waiting for your car to come back from the panelbeaters. The law might be on your side, but your car's still damaged.

Of course common sense isn''t common.

Jerry
    Every person takes the limit of their own vision for the limits of the world.

Default Well,well,well

Glad to see something I've said has created a fuss.
    Lots of valid points here.
    Let me give an example of a small bingle I had. I parked at an engineering workshop in a designated parking spot. Could only do this nose in. A van came and parked on my lefthand side. I was driving my Honda CRV. finished Business and Started to reverse out very gingerly. Turned lights on so that rear end was lit up like a christmas tree. No traffic apparent . Inched my way out. Next thing ,scraaaape.
    Another fellow had come in from the road and obviously taken no notice of what was going on. The left rear corner of his Patrol scraped across my spare wheel cover.

In this case I would contend that the indecent haste of the Patrol driver was the cause of the bingle.

Like others here I have taken the view that it is better to behave sensibly a give way to reversing vehicles where possible. Every now and then I even get an appreciative wave.

I live in Cooma where the parking is 45* nose in only. I wait for the bang every time I inch my way out.
    les

The eye's have it camera's APIA it takes the eyes away from what can't be seen, the moving vehicle is at fault regardless.

Try reversing 40ft no rear window just mirror's and eye sight. I have done this with a camera and they are useless unless reversing straight back they don't view whats coming from either side or down the side. This is the best motion your head can have from mirror to mirror and twisting around to see whats there.

Quote Originally Posted by Rossluck View Post
    I was only having a bit of a joke, John. But technically speaking the onus has to be on one party to give way, and it'd be ludicrous to allow reversing people to have the right of way to come thrusting out into the pathway of travelling vehicles. The way it is now, the people reversing have to exercise caution knowing that if they back into someone they're in trouble. It just won't work the other way around. Every time you drove through a car park some idiot would come flying blindly out of his or her perfectly safe spot next to a van or 4WD to force you to brake. But if you back out slowly and cautiously, you can usually encourage the forward drivers to let you out (not that you people deserve to come out. Because you like to hide in your cars, we like to drive around and around carparks so we can keep you in )

I agree with what you wrote here: "I think its just one of those driving hazards that all drivers have to be aware of and take the necessary precautions to make the best of a bad situation that sometimes cannot be avoided".
    Hi, I realise you were having a joke and sorry if I seemed to be having a go at you or Big Shed, which was not my intention. The points you raise here are very valid.
    Reality is no background music.
    Cheers John

Quote Originally Posted by jerryc View Post
    There is one law on reversing, it is simple and applies to both drivers. Use common sense. The law might be on your side, but your car's still damaged.

Of course common sense isn''t common.

Jerry
    Absolutely. Well said.
    Reality is no background music.
    Cheers John

By law the reversing driver is at fault unless the other driver did not take reasonable care. As you say this is sometimes not so practical but the law has nothing to do with justice.

Sometimes I work on a large construction site. This venture has a policy goal of being the safest project. That means every single thing people do has to be done in the safest way possible. There is a big car park on site for light vechicles. Everyone has to reverse into their park so that you come out forward. Apparently this will reduce the chances of a prang.

Makes you think about everywhere else where you back out of a parking spot.

Quote Originally Posted by jerryc View Post
    There is one law on reversing, it is simple and applies to both drivers. Use common sense.

A simple law at sea is that both boats should do all in their power to avoid a collision.
    Perzactly. And at a marine court of inquiry, the first question to each skipper will be asked is "What did you do to avoid a collision?"
    "I thought the other boat would stop" is not a valid answer.
    Visit my website
    Website
    Facebook