Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Sending Timber Overseas (Customs)?

Hello All, I didnt know where to post this - but this topic sounded like the nearest match so here goes.
    Im just wondering if anyone has ever had any experience sending timber overseas?
    I live in AUS and recently spent a few weeks in Auckland, NewZealand working with a Master Cricket bat maker so as a show of my gratitude I thought Id arrange some native australian timber samples to send back to him over there. Does anyone know if the customs or quarantine services allow this. ie would they need fumigation etc? is exportation of certain timbers restricted?

I had in mind Id send 2 wooden smoothing plane sized blanks across to him (as he makes all his own tools). 1 of Ironbark and the other of this other wickedly hard wattle derivative that I know as 'Mutherinbung' (not sure of the spelling on that one, or if it is infact even its real name). SO anyway if anyone has ever had ever had any experience sending timber overseas I really like to hear about it.
    regards

GM

G'day.
    We have sent timber samples overseas via Auspost with no problems.

The timber we send is Kiln dried T&G flooring.

On the customs declaration declare kiln dries timer samples and you will have no problems.
    lengths up to 1 meter and 10Kg can go like this.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor
    Grafton

That's good to know Trevor, thanks.

Admittedly I don't need overseas travel for my timber at the moment but hey ya never know.
    I love my Lucas!! ...just ask me!
    Allan.

I suspect that NZ may be as fussy about timber and timber products entering their country as we are here about it coming in to Australia.

I just looked at the Australia Post web-site (International Parcels) relating to NZ, and "unprocessed timber" is prohibited.

I would check it out further before sending it.

Thanks everyone for the info, Ill give AQIS a ring tomorrow to see what their possition is on the matter and hopefully their standards are similar ro those of NZ's customs service.
    When I went over they allowed me to take through my drawknives, shaves, planes etc all sporting wooden totes & handles (albeit I had cleaned them all thoroughly of shavings and dust prior) they were more worried about my work boots (coming from a farm and all).

I wonder what they would classify as unprocessed? does anyone know what they use for fumigation? (I did ask the customs agent when he treated my boots but it eludes me). Any way I will check it out tomorrow and let you all know how i get on
    There is no point me wasting considerable money on postage sending these nice blanks over, only for them to be intercepted and burnt in some incinerator.

Not sure about Un Zud but to the USA, 'processed' basically means sawn with no bark left and no signs of bug attack.
    Updated 8th of February 2024

Methyl Bromide is used for fumigating timber.
    Unprocessed is classed as Green, un-seasoned, rough sawn.
    So kiln dried, dressed is fine.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor
    Grafton

Even more strict to Canada, according to my imperfect understanding. Certified from sustainable forest, etc., etc. Check for that too, especially since laws are evolving continuously.

Joe
    Of course truth is stranger than fiction.
    Fiction has to make sense. - Mark Twain