37 Deg, 52. 697' South 145 deg, 15.627' East. Elevation 78M

Default Just spent a riveting five hours

Just spent a riveting five hours. Filled out me tax using Etax on line
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I´m not so sure about the universe.

Yecchh!

I knew there was something I needed to get done

Its a bit like visiting the in-laws, keep putting it off but when its over and done with whew it feels good.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I´m not so sure about the universe.

Default Tax & stuph

I'm smarter Than you Phil!

I take all these figures and receipts and , and, and to the accountant.

I'm poore than you Phil.

Well it only took me 15 minutes to do my tax return on etax and I got a $45 tax bill out of it. Not etax's fault if my employer doesn't withhold the correct amount. Though I suppose it is close to the correct amount. damn
    Mick

avantguardian

Quote Originally Posted by artme View Post
    I'm smarter Than you Phil!

I take all these figures and receipts and , and, and to the accountant.

I'm poore than you Phil.
    Use to have an accountant do my tax, but I thought why waste a Business Degree so I started doing E Tax six years ago and I get a lot more back than I ever did with an accountant.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingermick View Post
    Well it only took me 15 minutes to do my tax return on etax and I got a $45 tax bill out of it. Not etax's fault if my employer doesn't withhold the correct amount. Though I suppose it is close to the correct amount. damn
    Hard part about E Tax is trying to understand the questions, think they deliberately make it hard to understand

rrich Guest

I take it to mean that "E Tax" is your employment tax or something similar to our income tax.

I gather up all my information and take it to the accountant. Yep, I COULD do it myself and save the $180 fee. Usually I get something back because I over paid to the government. I have a cup of coffee with the accountant and when the forms are complete and submitted I go home calm and relaxed with my blood pressure well within the range of a 30 YO. $180, worth every cent!

etax is a program written by the Australian tax office for people to do their income tax return on the puter and submit them on line. Returns (refunds) usually come within two weeks rather than two months.
    Mick

avantguardian

Question Do own tax

Hmmmmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by artme View Post
    Hmmmmmmm
    I get a bit of a buzz out of doing it, do you think I am strange?

I collect and preprocess everything and give it to my accountant as a summary (all the raw data is with me when I go). Accountant takes about 1/2 hr to enter it, print statements etc, I sign in about 5 places, the paperwork goes into the filing cab at accountants, and he electronically submits it. Refund is in my account in 10 days, never any questions from tax dept.
    Cost abt $75. Accountant has responsibility for errors and checks/questions what I give him so he knows its accurate. I rest easily.

Calm is offline Stubby Owner and proud of it. Now coming back to Earth.:D

Quote Originally Posted by malb View Post
    I collect and preprocess everything and give it to my accountant as a summary (all the raw data is with me when I go). Accountant takes about 1/2 hr to enter it, print statements etc, I sign in about 5 places, the paperwork goes into the filing cab at accountants, and he electronically submits it. Refund is in my account in 10 days, never any questions from tax dept.
    Cost abt $75. Accountant has responsibility for errors and checks/questions what I give him so he knows its accurate. I rest easily.
    Hate to tell you but you sign to say that the information is true and correct. The accountant is not responsible.

As a tip to DIY tax returns you are entitled to $300 in expenses with no receipts - just calculations ie $150 laundry + $150 incidentals anything above this and the ATO can request proof of ALL expenses not just the part above $300.

Often an accountant will only claim the $300 if they have no receipts.

Just a tip

Cheers
    regards

David

"Tell him he's dreamin."
    "How's the serenity" (from "The Castle")

I used to enjoy doing my own tax returns, done in a jiffy and no hassles. It was the clients returns that were a real bugbear, usually not organised and a real problem to work out the details.

Alas my affairs are now so arranged that no more returns are required.

Peter.