Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Jamie Oliver’s Healthy Eating Revolution Costs Jobs

I wonder if Gordon Ramsey healthy eating regime has also had an affect but then I suppose he doesn't give a f%6k anyway

The last pastries have been made at a Dudley pie maker as it prepares to close its doors for the final time. Production has stopped at Apetito in Dudley and a “skeleton staff” have been tying up loose ends. They will leave the site at the end of the month. Bosses at the pie factory in Peartree Lane blamed Jamie Oliver’s healthy eating revolution for the dip in demand for pies and pasties.

The decision to close, making 77 staff redundant, was made in March and chief executive, Paul Freeston, said that at the time it was not taken lightly. “Our workers have been loyal and committed to the company and we are in no doubt as to the disappointment and concern this decision will cause,” Mr Freeston explained.

“It is with great sadness that we have had to take this decision based on the fact that despite substantial investment into the factory over the past five years, we cannot sustain the continuing losses any longer”.

The company which has its headquarters in Wiltshire said that it had explored all viable options. The news came as a big blow to the workforce many of whom had long service. A letter received from workers, who wished to remain anonymous, when the decision was made said: “Staff are shocked by the sudden announcement. “They feel the factory is an efficient, well-run site and can be profitable”.

Whilst unfortunate that a business has suffered in this way, I also think a healthy eating revolution is a good thing. Good on Jamie Oliver for doing something positive. Did anyone see any of the shows on it. Really good television and showed that healthy food is a cost effective option. Made a huge difference in the kids too in terms of attitude and concentration levels.
    It's only a mistake if you don't learn from it.

If people aren't buying your pies because they are percieved as unhealthy it's up to YOU to change that, either by making a healthier pie or attracting a market back.

It ain't someone else's fault your persisteing in making a product without a market.

The pie shops here are booming. They are making better quality product with less fat, fresh ingredients, vegetables and innovative recipes.

Edit: Just noticed your from Bungendore. Do you know Peter Roper ?
    Last edited by damian; 9th July 2008 at 08:24 AM. Reason: Bungendore
    I'm just a startled bunny in the headlights of life. L.J. Young.
    We live in a free country. We have freedom of choice. You can choose to agree with me, or you can choose to be wrong.
    Wait! No one told you your government was a sitcom?

Damien,
    Not so much from Bungendore as now live in Bungendore. Originally from country Victoria but after 14 years in the Navy I just say I am from Australia. I have only lived here for about 6 months so still getting to know people. Peter Roper isn't someone I have met yet.

Corbs
    It's only a mistake if you don't learn from it.

You'll know it when you do I like him but he's got a "distinctive" personality.

Nice place, as long as you own a couple of solid jumpers...
    I'm just a startled bunny in the headlights of life. L.J. Young.
    We live in a free country. We have freedom of choice. You can choose to agree with me, or you can choose to be wrong.
    Wait! No one told you your government was a sitcom?