Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I agree with most that Johnno had to say.

9/11 incident was an excuse in my opinion to raise rates, but I did go to meetings prior to that event and the HIH problems, where they stated (rightly or wrongly) that rates had to rise due to declining profits and increasing claims, 9/11 was obviously the perfect excuse to raise rates and the loss of HIH took away competition from the market..

The high street insurance companies are however at the mercy of the reinsurance industry, who ultimately set the rate. It?s not dissimilar to a bookie who will take on a portion of the bet/risk and look for another party to cover the remaining potential loss.

Because of this the insurance industry is a global market with each company taking on a portion of the risk, in that way local companies find themselves exposed to claims resulting from 9/11 and other disasters.

Given time (years) it will hopefully all settle down. If enough people self insure (do your own risk management there) or just shop around they will have to reduce rates or at least not increase them for a long period of time.

You can and insurance companies do blame the lawyers but they are really IMO only pushed by public sentiment and expectations, if you find yourself in a position were you are totally or almost totally disabled with no visible means of support apart from state benefits you will try and find someone to blame. Enter the "ambulance chasers"

Some people will slip in a shopping centre and break a finger nail or even wreck their back whilst bungee jumping and blame their own incompetence others look for compensation.

Dave

The good news is that I have joined the Victorian Woodworkers Association and will be covered by their public liability policy. Another possibility appears to be Q.U.F.T.A. on 07 46622308, I've only heard their answering machine message but they do provide insurance to market stall holders.
    The other news of course is that all those multi-million dollar payouts against councils, shopping centres and public utilities for people who slipped on an orange peel or jumped off a cliff are all getting overturned on appeal. It seems that common sense will prevail after all. That will leave the insurance companies with windfall profits having doubled premiums and now seeing payouts go down to 1980s levels.
    Any comment on when and what insurance shares to buy ?

Quote Originally Posted by kiwigeo
    What I cant understand is why, even though we sign a waiver absolving the karate club of all responsibilty if we get hurt, the club is still required to have hefty insurance. Ditto goes for alot of the sky diving clubs.
    The reason is that in Australia, unlike America, you can not sign away a legal right. The club is still fully liable for any negligence, the only thing that the paper means is that they have a little more bargaining power when it comes to court.