Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default This section makes you stop and think...

I've been on this forum a while and generally keep tabs on the usual haunts I guess, general woodworking, machines etc. and have only in the last few days started to have a good look in the safety section.

I must say, I've learn't more important stuff here in the last couple of days than all the other sections combined over the last 4 months. A general problem with most things in life is that you don't know what you don't know!!

Whilst my workshop practices are generally quite conservative I have realised that when using the tools my first thoughts generally are on what I want to achieve rather than ensuring I'm going about it in a safe manner.

So just a quick thanks to all and sundry posting here. All valuable information and much appreciated.

Some priorities for me now are...
    - actually purchase that Triton respirator (on order now)
    - get the dusty actually hooked up to each dust generating machine, not just the easy to do ones..Generally take dust protection more seriously.
    - spend more time ensuring wood is correctly clamped or captured when using the router table and saw bench EVERY time.
    - make sure I use the machines in a manner which gives me the best chance of leaving the workshop with all the fingers still attached
    - implement some procedures and rules to keep kids and dogs out of the work area.
    - get onto the sparky to get the shed wired properly for power and light (no tripping on cords or poor visibility)

thanks again
    Brian

Good thinking Brian.

A interesting DIY PPE poster I saw somewhere said something like this.

Before buying any tool, put the relevant PPE into your budget. Can't afford the PPE, you can't afford the tool.
    Before using any tool prepare the relevant PPE and have it handy.
    Finished the job and maintaining tools, don't forget maintenance of your PEE.

If we can collectively save someone's one finger, or one eye, or one lung all the bitching and moaning will be worth it.