Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Waterproofing wet areas

Why did I decide to build instead of buy? I should have known there would be a million 'hidden costs' that crop up along the way.

The latest one is waterproofing to wet areas. Apparently it is a legal requirement whereas my last house just had cement sheet on top of the yellow tongue sheet flooring then tiles on top of that.

Now I'm told you have to whack down some type of water proofing muck on top of your particle board floor. Is this correct? I will have a typical sized bathroom, ensuite & laundry. Does anyone know what sort of waterproofing is common and how much should I budget?

I think mostly now they use a fibreglass water proofing membrane and yes
    you definatly need to do it. Tiles grout and glue are not enough to keep it water tight. Sorry not sure of the cost.
    Instagram: mark_aylward
    www.solidwoodfurniture.com.au

A good edge takes a little sweat!!

I had to do the same about 6 years ago and bought a 10 litre drum from the tile shop. It was in a blue white and red plastic drum and cost about $150. This did a floor 3m x 3m 3 times with some left over. It had fibres in it like fibreglass. Good stuff, easy to use. If you need the name get back to me.
    Rick
    uhm , where am I ?

I think mostly now they use a fibreglass water proofing membrane and yes
    you definatly need to do it. Tiles grout and glue are not enough to keep it water tight. Sorry not sure of the cost.
    Glue manufacturers are quick to point this out.Well a Henry Morgan rep was.

Water ingress is one of the cheaper costs that prevent some of the most expensive maintenance issues many near on impossible to fix.

Choose a waterproofing agent suitable for the material you are using.Particle board? Waterproofing or damp proofing wet areas is worth every cent.

Tiles and glue are not water proofing materials.
    c2=a2+b2;
    When buildings made with lime are subjected to small movements thay are more likely to develop many fine cracks than the individual large cracks which occur in stiffer cement-bound buildings. Water penetration can dissolve the 'free' lime and transport it. As the water evaporates, this lime is deposited and begins to heal the cracks. This process is called autogenous healing.

Behind that little door under the thicknesser...

Fang......just building my bathroom. Ceramic tile underlay over yellow tounge. We are using Bostik Ultra Grip as the membrane (same as what the local builders use)....comes in a sausage (or the usual little cartridge) for the big applicators but you just cut the sausage, slop it out and spread it with a roller. Cost is $15 per sausage. Two or three should do the average wet area....
    Ours is not to reason why.....only to point and giggle.