Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Floor boards over slab with underfloor heating

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if anyone could offer some advice with respect to installing 15mm bamboo floor boards over a slab.

It is for a new house where allowance has been made for a 55mm wooden floor. We were intending to use 19mm tassie oak boards over 35mm battens nailed to the floor.

To add to the mix we are putting in underfloor electric heating for some rooms. This will require a layer of sarking to be laid on the slab (over damp membrane) and the heating wires are placed on that. There then needs to be a gap so the cables are not in contact with the floor so I will still need battens.

The problem is that the 15mm bamboo boards are too thin by themselves so I either need to bring the battens closer together (240mm min) or as recommended by the supplier, put in a sub floor first.

Any general recommendations or alternatives are welcome but I have the specific questions of:

1. If I use a 19mm thick battens, how wide should they be to attach the sub floor to? I may be able to get a good deal on 19mm x 30mm tassie oak offcust from a local skirting manufacturer.

2. What type of material for the sub floor? Plywood, chip board (structaflor?)

3. What is the best way to attach the battens to the floor? I am assume that I should nail them in on top of the waterproof membrane.

4. Is there a good combination of standard thicknesses that will get me to a 39mm sub floor or will I need to get something custom made?

I would of course like to minimise cost but I also want the floor to last so want to get it right.

Thanks for your advice

As far as i am aware, bamboo will not work over floor heating, don't think it will be warranted either.

Readyflor, and Big River floors are approved and warranted over heated slabs, and can be laid over 350 centres.
    Regards,

Marques Flooring
    Your One Stop Shop For All Your Flooring Needs..
    www.marquesflooring.com.au