Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Pine and MDF stand

Hello All,

I am just finishing a fish tank stand that I am not sure about what finish to use. It is made out of DAR (I think) pine legs and Cyprus pine support rails.

Research around this forum has given me the plan of attack on the pine but my problem is that I was planning to use MDF for the doors and the top (part that the fish tank will sit on).

Is there any finish/method that will get the MDF to fit in with the pine bits or am I just dreaming? I have seen this done with PLY instead of MDF and it doesn't come up too bad but I had MDF so if I can use it that would be good.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Rod

MDF can be finished to emulate wood grain, but it is problematical if worth the effort for your project.

One way is laser-cutting the wood grain. Too expensive by far for your fish tank stand.

Second is to use a faux finish process. Suggest you find a finish supplier in your area to get you the goods.

MDF for the doors is a great idea. For the top, less so as MDF hates water and a fish tank might have some water in or near it. Still . . .

Consider painting the MDF bits as a contrast to the stained or oiled wood. Black often makes a nice contrast without taking away from the wood grain effect of the pine bits.

HTH
    Cheers,

Bob

Buy pre veneered mdf... or use ply, ply is a much better option as it can stand the occasional splash of water and is structurally much stronger given the same thickness.

Default Pine and MDF stand

Thanks Guys it gives me something to think about.

Cheers

Rod

Quote Originally Posted by Harry72 View Post
    Buy pre veneered mdf... or use ply, ply is a much better option as it can stand the occasional splash of water and is structurally much stronger given the same thickness.
    Pay attention Harry. I agree ply is better, but the OP said he already had the MDF, so can he use it? If he has to buy pre-veneered, he may as well buy ply.
    Cheers,

Bob

While you have MDF and naturally want to use it, I feel you would be better off cutting your losses and buy some ply. Honarary Bloke is right that MDF and water do not go well together, Another factor is that the tank will have a fair amount of weight and MDF will sag over time.

Paint will protect the MDF against water but the sag remains.

In short go for ply and also consider strengthening the underside with some form of strutting. I usually do this by using two struts from corner to corner with a halving joint in the centre cross over point. For appearance sake I also taper the struts with thickest point in the centre thinning out to the corner.
    Hope I make myself clear.

Jerry

War does not decide who is right. War only decides who is left.

Your tank stand won't need a top. Just needs a support around the outer edges and a few cross pieces depending on the size. The put a styrofoam sheet under the tank to amke up for any uneveness on the bottom of the tank. That is how most tank stands are made.

Thanks for all of the thoughts.

To put your mind at ease the stand has got 6 of 90mm x 90mm legs and it is also sitting on 2 of 75mm x 48mm (approx) rails running front and back as well as 3 of same size running front to back as well as bottom bracing to be used as a shelf.

All of this is for a tank measuring 920mm x 400mm x 450mm (h) which by my calculations is about 165kg water weight plus tank.

I wasn't too concerned about using MDF (other than for appearances) as I intend to seal it all anyway and if the tank decides to leak I will probably have more to worry about than the MDF.

On saying all this I think you are right though with regards to the ply and I will go this way when the project recommences.

Basically it is my first project (other than some built in wardrobes) so once again thanks for the advice.

Cheers

Rod