Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Lowering a ceiling and insulating.

Hi.
    I'm trying to come up with a relatively inexpensive solution to making my large garden shed useable - for sound production projects. (I dont need an absolutely sound proofed space, I dont need to record sound), so the aim is to insulate the space and minimise the sound pollution. I will eventually do it all properly (in terms of sound proofing and acuoustic design). My initial idea was to use straw bails, but after helpful advice from the list I am re-thinking this.

The idea now is to build a stud wall, with 13mm plasterboard set 100mm from the existing wall and insulated with Soundscreen R2.5 batts. Im looking to lower the ceiling as well as there is lots of sound bleeding through the old uninsulated ceiling and roof above.

Can anyone comment or give me some advice about my intended plan of action. Im as green as green can be.

Lower the ceiling first - using 145 x 45 joists (the space runs 6.1m long and 3m wide)
    Lowering the ceiling from the existing 3.4m to 2.8. Its a high old shed.
    Suspend the joists using joist hangers. Space the joist 575mm apart. To enable the insullation bats (R2.5 585 to fit snuggly between the josts. Use Noggins every metre. As the plasterboard will be running in the same direction as the joists. Going width ways in 2.8m spans.

Once the 13mm plasterboard is up and the ceiling succesfully lowered the plan is then to build the stud wall 100mm out from the existing wall and insulate.

Comments and advice very much welcomed. thanks.

Default You said you were a greenie...have question?

Could you use re-cycled materials to make your own bats....have you looked into that?
    Serveral idea's flood to mind.....but never known if you can use your own products....for this...please let me know if you can.
    Kekemo
    Don't think you're playing it safe by walking in the middle of the road.....that's the surest way to get hit by traffic coming from both ways!
    I'm passionate about woodwork.......making Sawdust again & loving it!

I have done one or 2 jobs at work which required acoustic insulation. Double plaster board (even 10mm) is a good insulator and there is a range of acoustic insulation available to put inside the wall.