Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Protection for old veneered speaker boxes

I have just added my third set of big speaker boxes to my collection. They are all 1970's vintage. I would like to protect them and was thinking of U-Beaut's Traditional wax. They are all in reasonable condition so I intend leaving them with there scratches and alike for the time being but interested in really cleaning them up at a later stage. Would this be the right way to treat them for the time being?

Cheers,

Shellac and wax are both easily reversible finishes; you can strip shellac with metho, and wax with just about any solvent from turps on up.

I'd be more tempted to use shellac because metho is even less likely to do anything nasty to old veneer glue if you do strip it back one day.

Default Shellac it is

Thank you Master Splinter shellac it is. I have a couple of the liquid shellac and a bag of blonde shellac from U-Beaut so I'll test each out on the base.

Cheers,

Default Just somesnaps of them before I do anything

Not sure what the veneer is but I'll post followup when they are

Default Something to consider...

You might want to clean the pieces before you shellac or wax the pieces, shellac will not adhere to dirt, polishes, waxes, ect.

You might want to consider to first clean the speakers with "white spirits" this is a good dewaxer. use some paper towels with the white spirits and rub the surface, if the towel shows up dirty, then change the towel and keep rubbing until the towel is clean, that will let you know that the surface is now clean.

The white spirits will not harm any finish except waxes or polishes.

Once the pieces are clean, then you can shellac or wax the pieces.

Good Luck

Mac S

Thumbs up Thanks for that and more

Macs,

Thank you for that.

I have also realised that our kitchen Tassie oak can now be more readily cleaned and easily polished with EEE and the swansdown - a lot easier than my right arm that I'm not supposed to use strenuously for a few months. Might even get one of the kids interested.

Again many thanks,

Default Progress

Here they are after cleaning by rubbing down with methylated spirits and then using U-Beaut liquid shellac. I'm very happy with the rejuvenation even before I use U-Beaut's EEE.

Cheers