Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I got a Landcruiser 200 GXL V8. He He He. I am doing both he he he he.
    If you can do it - Do it! If you can't do it - Try it!
    Do both well!

I have always treated gloating as persiflage on the board.

If it gets malicious it don't stay long.

... when seeing someone passing by in a Cadillac, an American thinks: "One day I will also drive in one of those", an Australian thinks: "Poor bastard."

The last Cadillac in which I drove wallowed around like my Grandma's bum.

Quote Originally Posted by View Post
    I have always treated gloating as persiflage on the board.

If it gets malicious it don't stay long.
    I was waiting for Andy's response before tackling this one, but given that you are saying the same:

-in the English language "gloating" is not "persiflage" (why not good old "banter", isn't this snobbery? )

- using one for the other indicates either:
    - accepting a common usage of the word that has changed its original meaning and has not yet been taken up by dictionaries or
    - accepting a word that implies malice to the preference of others that do not.

I am being charitable and assume the former. I stand with Joe Greiner on this one and would not be impressed with Australian culture if you could convince me that the latter is true.

For myself, as I said at the beginning, I love banter an irony, may occasionally stoop to sarcasm, and would probably agree if you occasionally found me bragging. But I would never call my behaviour gloating, and would be extremely surprised if you said that it is. Therefore, if it true that:
    Gloating is OK in Anglo culture; boasting is not.

(BTW: nobody has confirmed or denied this directly yet) I am afraid that I will have to live with the difference. I hope that this won't be enough to put me in the list of potential terrorists under surveillance.

Edited to add: to make it simple, if you are actually saying in bad English "Persiflage is OK in Anglo culture; boasting is not" there is no argument.

The way I see it is:a gloat is picking something up at a bargain price or being given something and refers to an object with no malicious intent to either the receiver or the giver. It is persiflage to the rest of the members.

Boasting is referring to the first person singular namely yourself. If someone came on and boasted that they had bought an object from person X and how bloody stupid he was for selling it at that price then that is malicious and would last a very short time before he was flamed by other board members for being a boastful thief and would probably be deleted shortly thereafter.

So to answer the last question in good English. YEP.

PS Hence no argument.

Thanks , that is very clear. I call boasting what you call gloating and call gloating what you call boasting.

What is it gonna be: beers at the pub or dictionaries at twenty paces?

Boast "geez I'm bloody good at this"

Gloat "what a bargain, pity you fools didn't get one and never will"

It's actually very hard to gloat when you've always been poor the only thing going for you is a gigantic intellect that few, if any, can comprehend.

IS that a gloat or boast of persiflage?
    And in case you were wondering, I had major head trauma 7 years ago and lost my empathy, sympathy and about 30 IQ points taking me down to about 175
    Mick

avantguardian

Default now here's a thought!

.........I think there's too much time spent....worrying about the "Queens English"...or the bushman's "bloody oath's"....AND SOME DON'T SPEND ENOUGH TIME WOODWORKING....come'on u Nancy's ....put your pen's down...tuck your pride back in your pocket....you're not holden' the chisle or hammer long enough...we want to keep people interested in WOODWORK...not loose them between the lines.......ANYONE WANT TO PICK ON WORDS...TRY THE NEWSPAPERS....I GAVE UP READING THEM....BECAUSE THE "ENGLISH' LANGUAGE IN THAT WASN'T WORTH THE JOB.....THE BUSHMEN USE IT FOR!

......BACK TO THE SHED....

.....love peace makers....they remind me of the aroma of a good woodshed!.......

........you do not need sight to have vision......
    ........you do not need hands to feel...
    ........you do not need to be together to be in contact....
    ........all we need, is to know we are loved!....KEKEMO
    Don't think you're playing it safe by walking in the middle of the road.....that's the surest way to get hit by traffic coming from both ways!
    I'm passionate about woodwork.......making Sawdust again & loving it!

Quote Originally Posted by View Post
    The way I see it is:a gloat is picking something up at a bargain price or being given something and refers to an object with no malicious intent to either the receiver or the giver. It is persiflage to the rest of the members.

Boasting is referring to the first person singular namely yourself. If someone came on and boasted that they had bought an object from person X and how bloody stupid he was for selling it at that price then that is malicious and would last a very short time before he was flamed by other board members for being a boastful thief and would probably be deleted shortly thereafter.

So to answer the last question in good English. YEP.

PS Hence no argument.
    Thats the way I read it!

Quote Originally Posted by Gingermick View Post
    Boast "geez I'm bloody good at this"

Gloat "what a bargain, pity you fools didn't get one and never will"
    But the latter said with a smile. Almost an invitation to show your own bargain/find/score, whereas the boast would indicate no challenge unless ego's are seriously involved...imo!

Sorry kekemo, for some of us words are all we have. In lieu of woodworking we talk about it, a bit like sex when you're older!!

Cheers,
    Andy Mac
    Change is inevitable, growth is optional.

Quote Originally Posted by ernknot View Post
    I got a Landcruiser 200 GXL V8. He He He. I am doing both he he he he.
    I ain't got one of them beasts He He He. Aint't I lucky He He He
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

Thanks Andy. We have different moral values, but I respect your view, it is consistent and based on the "proper" interpretation of the words. For you, a little malice is better than pride. You can't say that you read it the same way as , though, that's inconsistent with your further explanation.

Gingermick, if what you say is true and not a boast, that trauma has ensured that now you have the qualities to become rich, if your moral values or personality do not get in the way, that is.

Kekemo, you have contradicted your own signature. By staying in the middle of the road, you are getting hit by both sides .

Quote Originally Posted by Frank&Earnest View Post
    For you, a little malice is better than pride.
    "little" being the operative word! I'm not a malicious person by nature, but have been known for sarcasm and friendly sledging. Only ocassionally has this been misinterpreted!
    You can't say that you read it the same way as , though, that's inconsistent with your further explanation.
    Only by a degree! Persiflage, if not by exact definition, would include some level of dig or jibe, a reposte if only to instigate further banter. "pity you fools didn't get one and never will" is something I might say, but not seriously mean, and would openly expect friendly fire.
    Maybe it is a cultural thing. Boasting and excessive pride was not encouraged when I was a kid, the dour Scottish/NZ kind of humour was. My people are deeply suspicious of anyone beating their own drum, and as a rule Kiwi's see Aussies with the same doubt that Aussie's view Yanks. Always boasting that their's is bigger and better!!
    Have I said too much!

Cheers,
    Andy Mac
    Change is inevitable, growth is optional.