Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Expoxy resin

Default Expoxy resin

Hi, I am making a bar and have sourced some nice redgum slabs for the bar top. There are some cracks that I wish to fill and am thinking of setting a spider in the crack and then filling with some expoxy resin. Has anybody attempted this before? and if so any tips or advice would be appreciated. Also how would you finish the rest of the bar top? Obviously I would need something hard wearing so I was thinking of using a poly urethane coating but am unsure of how the epoxy and polyurethane would go together. Your thoughts or experiences would be of great help!!!!
    Cheers.

Try this link for the insructional use for envirotex lite http://www.eti-usa.com/consum/envtex/envinstr.htm
    it is a 2 pack epoxy resin which dries clear and is pour on self leveling one coat is =to 50 coats.And to the forum
    Watch out he bites!

Quote Originally Posted by dgoro View Post
    Hi, I am making a bar and have sourced some nice redgum slabs for the bar top. There are some cracks that I wish to fill and am thinking of setting a spider in the crack and then filling with some expoxy resin. Has anybody attempted this before? and if so any tips or advice would be appreciated. Also how would you finish the rest of the bar top? Obviously I would need something hard wearing so I was thinking of using a poly urethane coating but am unsure of how the epoxy and polyurethane would go together. Your thoughts or experiences would be of great help!!!!
    Cheers.
    Expoxy - is that, "was once poxy"? I think you mean Epoxy resin?

I fill cracks and voids in many of my bits and pieces using epoxy. I personally don't like inserting anything into the cracks as I usually want the wood to feature more than anything else but if you are going to set things into the resin I would recommend using clear casting two pack resin. It also sands and polishes dead clear.

Oh yeah, and welcome to this site

Ive just finshed using epiglass epoxy international, it can be used to fill holes and also to coat finish. It goes on easily is easily sanded, seals well and comes up like glass when finished. It was also alot cheaper than another brand I checked on at the time.
    Regards Tim