Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Caked on dust

Default Caked on dust

I have a 2 Hp dusty and find that dust cakes or accumulates on the inside of the metal housing separating the filter and the waste bag. I believe it is due to static.

Would grounding the dusty resolve this problem or are there other ways of dealing with this?

http://www.carbatec.com.au/store/ind..._350_1390_1430

Zelk

Quote Originally Posted by zelk View Post
    I have a 2 Hp dusty and find that dust cakes or accumulates on the inside of the metal housing separating the filter and the waste bag. I believe it is due to static.

Would grounding the dusty resolve this problem or are there other ways of dealing with this?
    Do you mean on top of the big metal, slightly sloping down, ring? If so that is normal. This area represents a low speed air flow or deadish-zone so it falls out of the air flow and builds up on the upper side of the ring and eventually falls off into lower bag. Grounding won't help but then again it's not really a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by BobL View Post
    Do you mean on top of the big metal, slightly sloping down, ring? If so that is normal. This area represents a low speed air flow or deadish-zone so it falls out of the air flow and builds up on the upper side of the ring and eventually falls off into lower bag. Grounding won't help but then again it's not really a problem.
    Hooray, finally a response.

It's the housing to which the waste bag attaches to. The lower inside surface attracts dust which is a nuisance when it falls off particularly when changing the waste bag.

I must admit, I haven't tried tapping the outside of the housing. Just wondering if this dust accumulation can be minimised with grounding.

Zelk

Not likely, electrostacially charged particles are not attracted to metals
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

Quote Originally Posted by echnidna View Post
    Not likely, electrostacially charged particles are not attracted to metals
    Thanks Bob, does that also apply to the paint used on the metal surface?

Zelk

Painted surfaces can hold an electrostatic charge and it's probably why the dust sticks to the area you refer to. Grounding won't help because the charge won't leak away across a normal painted surface. Just tap the side of the DC with cork or rubber mallet should knock the dust off.

Quote Originally Posted by BobL View Post
    Painted surfaces can hold an electrostatic charge and it's probably why the dust sticks to the area you refer to. Grounding won't help because the charge won't leak away across a normal painted surface. Just tap the side of the DC with cork or rubber mallet should knock the dust off.
    Thanks for that.

After clean up, I am wonder if one could deter some dust build up by spraying the internal painted surface with a silicone lubricant or wax?
    Last edited by zelk; 8th April 2008 at 10:29 AM. Reason: addition

Quote Originally Posted by zelk View Post
    Thanks for that.

After clean up, I am wonder if one could deter some dust build up by spraying the internal painted surface with a silicone lubricant or wax?
    You would have to make sure that the sprayed/waxed surface was completely dry and polished before reassembling the DC. You can try it but I think both types of surfaces will still charge up.