Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Deck Wood Comparisons

Hello again oh "Most Knowledgeable Ones"
    I'm after some more advice. Does anyone have any preferences for types of decking wood??
    We are in WA and are building an outdoor deck on both sides of our pool. We are going to an auction that has Jarrah, Kapur, Balau and Batu. I'm not sure of the difference and which is better.
    Any ideas or advice would be greatfully accepted

Jarrah decking is difficult to get in any decent length or quality. My guess would be that if it is at auction it is second grade to start with.

I would not put kapur around a pool as it is best suited to covered areas, it is more a soft wood than a hardwood.

From those listed above I would lean towards batu but if it was my place I would check out something like modwood if it is going to get alot of weather and water from a pool. I would want to have a good look at the timber before buying at auction. You can get first grade batu pretty cheap at the moment from most of the big suppliers.

Here are some I have completed recently for comparison, first is Kapur, second is batu and third is modwood.

"Thanks for taking the time to answer my question, resize those pictures and post them for my benefit Burnsy."

"No worries NewAtIt"