Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Question Is my house suitable for a deck ?

G'day folks,
    We are currently building a brick veneer, wood framed house & are wondering what to do for the outside rear of the house. Deck or tiles....?

As you can see from this photo Attachment 70591, there is only a two brick step up to the house at the rear. Not much clearance for a deck. I suppose we could excavate, but as you can see from this photo Attachment 70592, the land at the back is already much lower than the rear garden & will already require a retaining wall.

We would ideally love a deck, which would be level with the ground floor.... but I know that would go over the termite barrier (Graniteguard). If we could have a deck, is it possible to have it level with the ground floor & how would we ensure the house would still be protected from termites.

All comments & opinions welcome... as I just need some ideas. Thanks all !

hi rikster

i have just previously mentioned this on a previous post . but i think it also could relate to your own problem .

i would personaly use 80mm x 40mm steel patio frame for the base , this would give you a sturdy and termite free base .

you then also have an option to use pvcu / composite decking boards which are also termite free .

these options are not cheap but will last a long ,long period of time .

there are some photos available on home improvement pages . click into innovated solutions , there are photos on there of pvc decking - tell me that doesn't look like wood .