Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Best Lacquer for wax and not flammable

Well hello everyone, I have been searching everything possible on google and always seem to get thrown into this forum where I have read many questions and answers however unfortunately none of what I am after. Besides, it is for wood not my unusual question. So I figured best I join and ask if anyone knows my question myself
    I am looking for a lacquer or varnish that will adhere to candles yet not set them totally on fire so need non flammable!
    I was advised shellac as is methylated based and once set it is fine to use on candles. Unfortunately it gives a yellow tinge (even the clear shellac). If there is anybody who knows their lacquers which is non flammable and clear in colour and will grab onto the wax I would absolutely love to hear from you. I am at wits end with this one. You can buy candle varnish oversea's however was hoping could buy something locally or within Australia.
    Anyway, to those of you who write back thank you in advance for wishing to help me with this sticky one.
    Thank you, lbae

White Shellc (CLICK HERE) thinned with between 50 - 75% metho won't discolour the candles and is used extensively for this particular purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by ubeaut View Post
    White Shellc (CLICK HERE) thinned with between 50 - 75% metho won't discolour the candles and is used extensively for this particular purpose.
    Thank you so much for responding, really appreciate it. Sadly I bought shellac (white polish) which I assume is the same thing and it gave a coloured tinge still . I appreciate your answer though

Try the dilution as above.

You can buy parrafin wax hardener, you add about 1% IIRC , this gets rid of need to coat your candles. It also allows for no drip burning.

If you are covering designs painted onto candle, uncoloured parrafin with hardener as a dipping mixture will cover and protect your work. Hot, but very quick dip will give an almost clear layer, too long or too much will damage/cloud.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzi View Post
    You can buy parrafin wax hardener, you add about 1% IIRC , this gets rid of need to coat your candles. It also allows for no drip burning.

If you are covering designs painted onto candle, uncoloured parrafin with hardener as a dipping mixture will cover and protect your work. Hot, but very quick dip will give an almost clear layer, too long or too much will damage/cloud.
    Thanks for that, what is IIRC (sorry)

Quote Originally Posted by lbae View Post
    Thanks for that, what is IIRC (sorry)
    If I Recall Correctly