Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default H4 Treated Pine Stumps for Deck!!

Hi all,

Well this is my first post and i have to say that this forum has been very informative. I have just finished my plans for a deck i'm building in the Hobson bay area ( Newport) and popped down to the council yesterday just to make sure i haven't left anything out of the plans. The deck i'm building will be approx 44m2. I'll be using 100 by 100 H4 Treated Pine stumps and will be using the same material for the bearers which will span 1500mm with 1200mm between rows of bearers. The joist will be 90 by 45 F7 Treated pine at 450 centers and 90 by 19 Merbau for the top. The guy i spoke to from the building department said everything looked pretty good but said the 100 by 100 H4 stumps i had planned to use will probably not pass inspection. Correct me if i'm wrong but H4 stumps are classed for in ground use? He suggested that I used Redgum. There's a fairly big price difference between to two especially when i'm putting in 36 stumps. Has anyone got any suggestions as to what i should do???

Your lucky if you don't need engineering certification.
    1500 span with 100x100 bearers?
    Mick

avantguardian

going directly into the ground ....redgum would be the go, tp is not suitable for directly into the ground ...unless you use post stirrups ...100x100 bears will warp .....they are after all only 100mm thick...you would be better off using 250 x 50 t/p bearers ....200x50mm would probably work ...but bigger is better

Here ya go;

H4 will be fine.

from

http://www.thelogfactory.com.au/treatment_levels.aspx
    Treated pine Treatment Levels

There are a total of 6 levels of treatment. H1 through to H6. Each level of treatment is designed to suit a particular application. The most common of these is H3 and H4.
    H1 - Inside use - Protection from some insects, not termites.
    H2 - Inside use - Protection from insect attack including termites.
    H3 - Exterior above-ground use - Protection from moderate decay (periodic wetting) and termites.
    H4 - Exterior in-ground use - Protection from severe decay and termites for landscaping applications.
    H5 - Exterior in-ground use - Protection from very severe decay and termites for structural applications.
    H6 - Marine use - Protection from prolonged immersion in seawater and most marine borers.
    H1 to H5 cannot be used in permanently wet environments, including areas that are boggy or areas that are susceptible to long periods of high moisture retention.

cheers

Dazzler

Quote Originally Posted by manoftalent View Post
    going directly into the ground ....redgum would be the go, tp is not suitable for directly into the ground ...unless you use post stirrups ...100x100 bears will warp .....they are after all only 100mm thick...you would be better off using 250 x 50 t/p bearers ....200x50mm would probably work ...but bigger is better
    Thanks for the replies. Since it's going to be a low level deck approx 350mm i was palnning on placing the bearers on top of the stumps to give the bearers some clearance from the ground. What if i was to use 2 90mm by 45mm F7 TP joined together for the bearers with a continous span of 1200mm and 90mm by 45mm F7 TP joist @ 450mm centers spanning 1200mm? Will this work???? I'm still thinking H4 100mm by 100mm stumps but i can source some 100mm by 100mm Redgum stumps for $10 per meter.

Have a look in here maybe you will find something usefull.

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com...hlight=decking

For my deck i am using 100x100 t/p posts in ground, 140x45 bearers at 1600 continuois span and 120x45 joist at 1500 single span.

covered by 90x19 merbau decking.

cheers

stefan